add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU upgrade needed?

CrazySabbath
  • 53 months ago

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade my r9 280 to r9 390, and I was wondering If I would also have to upgrade my PSU.

Seasonic 520W

What do you guys thinks? If I have to upgrade my PSU for new VGA, which PSU would you suggest I get?

Best case scenario seasonic psu should be enough, but I've read mixed reviews and am just not sure...

Thanks

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

yes, you should... especially if over clocking. 650w minimum, up to 850w is reasonable for efficiency and extra overhead reasons, but dont get under 650w. id go with a 750w EVGA G2 model as its a top unit thats usually also cheaper than any of its good competition

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess 750w EVGA G2 would be a good idea. It's strange though, I saw builds with r9 390 that had 550W PSU and seemed to be working.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

ya, it will work, until you either break something from over stressing it too much, or it flips off for safety....

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

what's so strange about that? if they're not going for big overclocks 550 watts is fine and not in any danger of shutting off or "breaking something" just because. haha.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

That PSU will not damage your PC if you overload it. At most, it would simply shut down. I would recommend a 650w unit. Antec, XFX, Seasonic, EVGA (G2,B2,GS)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Wouldn't recommend corsair?

Anyway, at the moment I can get:

• PSU Seasonic SSP-750RT F3 80 PLUS Gold, bulk
  • PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 850 B2 850W, 80 PLUS Bronze, EU ver
  • PSU Corsair RM 750W, 80 Plus Gold, Modular, 135mm vent, Zero RPM
  • PSU Corsair Enthusiast RMi RM750i 750W, 80 PLUS Gold, Fully modular, 135mm, 7YW

(all of them are roughly the same price)

Or I can wait 2 weeks for Evga 750 G2.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get the Seasonic out of that group.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

the RMi 750 is the best out of this group and it's not even close with the rest. the seasonic is the worst one rated at 25c. if these are nearly the same price like you say, the RMi 750 is the obvious choice.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The RMi is a very good unit. I just have a personal issue with CWT manufactured PSUs. BUT, the RMi units are VERY good.

That in NOT the Seasonic I thought it was. Read too quickly.

Personally if it was me, I would wait and buy the EVGA G2. SuperFlower built and top of the line.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I would wait and buy the EVGA G2. SuperFlower built and top of the line.

While the G2 is a fantastic power supply, so is the RMI. IMO they are both on the same level. The only reason why I would pick one over another is for price or warranty reasons.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

For the same price as an RM650i you get an EVGA 750 P2. No question in my mind. Again Corsair is very overpriced. Yes the RMi are great units, but they are not a good buy at all when you can get an EVGA p2 for less money at all wattages.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all the comments guys, this is making things easier for me.

My current choices are:

• RMi 750i
  • Wait 2 weeks for EVGA 750 G2

All other choices are either worse or too expensive.

By the way, I noticed RMi has 135mm fan while EVGA has 140. Is there much of a difference between them?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

By the way, I noticed RMi has 135mm fan while EVGA has 140. Is there much of a difference between them?

The RMi is quieter IMO.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

not really. if one had a 120mm fan that would make a bigger difference in load noise levels on size alone. the RMi has an FDB fan. the evga has ball bearing fan which is louder. the RMi is the quieter of the two. I wouldn't bother waiting two weeks. both are equivalent in terms of performance. one has some monitoring functionality in corsair link, one has a longer and better warranty.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all the help.

Ordered RMi 750i :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube