add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Full vs Mid Cases (Help!)

BNguyen110

50 months ago

I'm looking for a case for my first build, but I don't know whether to get a full tower case or a mid tower. I like the size of full tower cases for my atx motherboard, but a mid tower case is cheaper. What's the difference, and for my first build which is better? Also, is it a lot harder putting together a computer in a mid tower?

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

When it comes to working inside of a case, more room is always better. But there are some surprisingly spacey Mid-tower cases. I personally chose a full tower because I didn't want any restrictions when it came to expansion. So more cards, more drives, water loops, just think about the future of your build. A big thing is to make sure you have clearance for your GPU, so either picking a size accordingly or atleast finding one with removable drive bays, if you could stand to lose them.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Having an ATX board in a full tower looks wierd because alot of room is empty imo.

Also, is it a lot harder putting together a computer in a mid tower?

No it's just like building in any other case really. It's not like building in a 3'x3' card board box.

What is your budget for a case? What does the rest of your build look like?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/BNguyen110/saved/fFmcCJ This is my build so far. I'm thinking 100 is my budget for a case.

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

The Enthoo Pro is a great case, but if you are looking for the style of the Enthoo Pro in a smaller package, the Enthoo Pro M might be for you.

If you don't mind I would like to offer suggestions for the rest of your build.

Go with 2x4gb for the RAM.

Without that MIR, that power supply is way overpriced, and gives mediocre performance. The EVGA G2 will be a better alternative. If you find it for cheap, the Corsair RMx would be my other choice.

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

Toss that G1 power supply those things are trash. Like johngerges582 said, an EVGA G2 is a far better buy.

He's right as well about the RAM. 2x 4GB sticks in dual channel will perform better than a single 8GB stick. Unless you plan to purchase a second 8GB stick in the next month or so. Be sure you match the sticks identically.

I can't speak to the case because a computer case is way too aesthetic for me to recommend something to you. I much prefer the look of the Fractal Design R4/R5 personally.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice! But do you by chance know how any watts I need?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

376w if you trust PC Part Picker's total. (Top right of your part list.)

I usually over build a bit as I like headroom. Better to have a few hundred watts available more than you need as opposed to be short. A 650w PSU is fine for your setup.

I put a 550 inside a case that is estimated to need 150ish - watts, mainly cause of the make/model/deal of power supply. Smaller power supplies tend to err towards trash.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Toss that G1 power supply those things are trash

I wouldn't call them trash really. They definitely aren't good, but they are just average, and usually overpriced.

@BNguyen110

With a 970 you could use a good 550w unit and be fine. You could use 650w if you plan on adding a better gpu later on.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a great disdain for the G1 after I had 2 RMAs from EVGA and every single one had this horrid clicking sound coming from inside. Replaced with a G2 and it hasn't made a sound since.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube