add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help me pick a cooler and psu please.

romanvalkre
  • 56 months ago

I am a little stuck on what PSU, and cooler to put into this build (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TvWjzy).

I want a white PSU in the 550 to 700w range that’s full modular or semi modular. Cost is the big factor, would like to keep that around $100.00.

As for the cooler: A good blow down cooler would be preferred, with a white bladed fan, or one that can be replaced with an NZXT 120mm, or 140mm. I have several of both sitting on a shelf so replacement fan cost is a non-issue. Again cost does matter, if we can keep it below $50.00 bucks I stand a better chance of getting this build past my wife.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

A 960 only needs 430W minimum so the XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold is more than enough and this PSU is a Teir 1. If you plan to do some upgrades in the future then get an XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold as it is a Tier 1 PSU as well. Both under $100.

For the cooler, I recommend the CRYORIG H7 as it has a 120mm fan.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Sadly the XFX XTR's are not white. Also the extra power overhead is because the system would spend all of its time at 100% utilization (folding) until it becomes a gift to someone.

and the Cryorig H7 is not a blow down cooler.

Both are good parts, just would not fit as well with the theme.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube