add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cinema 4D Octane Render build? (980 ti SLI)

yogisaint
  • 55 months ago

Hello - I'm coming from a Mac and and want to build a home PC that will run Octane Render fast (It all depends on CUDA cores). I've decided on dual 980 Ti, but other than that, I don't want to deal with liquid cooling for the GPUs. I just want them to run as efficiently as possible without bottlenecking the cards. I don't need to have the latest and greatest CPU, I have a mid 2011 (3.4) i7 27 inch iMac for all other software. Not a huge interest in PC gaming, this would be a dedicated Octane Render computer. SSD for boot, and 7200 for storage would be nice. I really like the non flashy stuff, just clean. Anyway, I have been researching this stuff for awhile, but everything is starting to get overwhelming as far as which CPU/motherboard/power/cooling mix. I have a DELL U2713HM 1440 display, and accessories that I like already. I would really appreciate some feedback and sample build lists! $2000-$2500 budget.Thanks!

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Will this be set up as a network render node or as an additional workstation?

FYI: SLI actually reduces performance for cluster computing CUDA renderers like octane. You'll want as many CUDA cores as possible, (via multiple GPUs), but you do NOT want them configured in SLI.

The purpose of SLI is to allow multiple GPUs to work together on the same real-time operation (like a viewport). This adds unnecessary overhead and communications. Octane is not real-time, and does not treat the render as a single operation, rather, it is broken up into many "buckets" of work to be done, which can be distributed to multiple GPU's WITHOUT the need of SLI.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I forgot about that, I should have titled it dual 980 Ti

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Would this set up work well with after effects?

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply, I'm going by this link for the Octane benchmarking.
https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/results.php

This is why I want the dual 980 Ti. Dual Titans would be out of my budget, but the dual 980 ti offer better performance than a single Titan Z (at least from this benchmark). I like this setup though.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Man, you're right...then why would the octane benchmark be more for the dual 980 tis?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The Titan Z is Kepler architecture. The 980Ti is Maxwell Architecture.

A pair of 980Ti's can be up to ~40% faster than a titan Z in optimized workloads.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

No

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube