add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power Supply, what is it and how do I determine which one I should use?

RazortX
  • 53 months ago

Hello PC builders,

My question for today is, what Power Supply should I choose. I'm not really familiar with Power Supplies and how much I need and I would like to receive some information regarding this subject. For example: My estimated wattage is currently 342W, does that mean I need to buy a power supply which delivers like 400W or higher? What makes a difference between a 400W power supply and a 600W power supply in this example.

My build if needed: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WyN76h

I'm planning to play the newest games, preferably highest setting although this is not a must depending on the demands of that game. Would love if you guys can pick the right Power Supply for my build and maybe some tips regarding my current build.

Have a nice day!

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

A good PSU for your build would be the XFX TS 650w.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your fast responses, I've made my choice. :)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

What did you go with?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

if you look @ is saved part list he picked up the FSP Aurum aka evga novanex

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that was a poor decision.

[comment deleted]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah the G1 is substantially worse than the Gs/B2.

[comment deleted]
  • 53 months ago
  • 0 points

You want a 500-650w unit from Antec, XFX, Seasonic, EVGA (G2,B2,GS)

I would grab an EVGA 650 G2 or GS. OR if you want to save some money, grab the Seasonic 620w on sale right now.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

I would grab an EVGA 650 G2 or GS.

I would get rid of the GS as an option, unless you get it for significantly cheaper. The GS 550w/650w are usually only around $5-$10 less than the G2. That means $5-$10 between good and great.

The GS is still a good power supply, but it is so awkwardly priced.

• 53 months ago
  • 0 points

The GS is a re-labeled Seasonic S12 II. I recommend them as they are often on quite large sales.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The GS 550w/650w is a rearranged Seasonic G. The 850w/1050w are based on the X KM3S.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

the 850/1050 are XP2S. may as well be KM3. :)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

XP2S. may as well be KM3. :)

Really?? I thought that was the PS series.

Meh. Close enough. lol

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

it's not an S12II. it's at least better than that.

• 53 months ago
  • 0 points

It is based on the S series.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube