add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair CX750 will not do it

Solomai
  • 53 months ago

Hey guys,

I finally made my build run smoothly, everything is alright ! Yay ! Milestone accomplished !

But now, I have a problem, and it looks like it is coming from my Corsair CX750. Coil whine, terrible one. When I move around my mouse (running at 1000Hz), it cries on a very high pitch, and when I run a game, it emits a very annoying noise. Even more, when I "unleash" the game and make it run at full power, the sound becomes really, really scary AND annoying.

So, I do not think I am going to keep it, even more because I plan to do some OC and stuff on it.

So, just a small recap of what's running :

• MSI R9 390 OC edition,
  • i5 6600k,
  • Gigabyte z170-Gaming -3 mobo,
  • HyperX 2666Hz RAM.

Now, I do not think I am going to upgrade all of this anytime soon, so I believe 600 - 650W is more than enough.

My question is, do you know of any very good solution as PSU that will not cry everytime I do something ? I live in France, but prices in Germany/Spain/Italy will do it; My budget is still quite tight, I do not really wish to go above 110€. I might consider it though if you have THE reference !

Thank you ! :)

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The best thing I'm looking at is an Antec HCG from the Germany website, though there are plenty of other good options like the Seasonic S12II. What I'd really like to see is something like an EVGA G2/P2 unit, but PCPP isn't showing any European vendors who are selling those within a 110 Euro budget.

The usual batch of generic recommendations are Antec, XFX, Seasonic (most lines), EVGA (G2, B2, GS specifically), and certain Corsair lines I can never remember when they come on sale (most Corsair units are, sadly, overpriced).

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that is pretty sad, but we're not so lucky about small PC parts in our area ! Worst of all are EVGA parts : they're just completely nonexistent.

I still found them at around 120€, is this really THE reference that will bear with me without causing me problems ? (EVGA G2)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

In Germany the RMx is pretty well priced. they are cheaper than the G2 units and cheaper than the original RM. the 650 watt is 109€ at amazon.de. there's also the XFX TS650 gold, not quite as good, but a nice psu none the less (it's a rebrand of the Seasonic S12G) for 95€ on amazon.fr.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Hm, I can get my hands on a EVGA G2 650W for 100€, is this the best deal ever ?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

if it's not used, yes.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks man for helping me decide that getting a new PSU with my 390 at the end of the month is the way to go. I was debating on keeping the CX750 and dumping the extra $$ into a decent 1440p monitor but I guess the monitor can wait until Christmas. Only having $500-$600 on black Friday isn't helping much unless I can get an EVGA 850-1k PSU for $75 or so but then I still need to buy some more RAM & fans as well. Right now I can get a MSI 390 for about $275 which is probably the cheapest I can find with discounts.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd change the PSU before anything else honestly.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what i'm going to do :)

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like a good plan.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey all, coming right back at you.

I'm still a bit reluctant in doing an rma (it would be my second on one build, and at around 16€ to send it back, I already lost too much c(= ), and I'm trying to identify exactly where the coil whine comes from, to understand if I can fight it.

I could identify two different coil whines :

1 - A coil whine related to the CPU/Frequency, and that acts almost always when I move my mouse (1000Hz polling rate), very high pitched. I ran a stress test on my CPU, putting it at full power, and... No more of this coil whine. So I guess I have to change something into my BIOS to make it better.

2 - A low pitched to very high pitched coil whine related to the GPU. Very low, a bit weird, when scrolling, and gets higher and louder the higher the FPS go. It is very loud and clear when I'm running on a non v-sinc game (usually League of Legends running at ~400 fps), a bit less noticeable when at 60fps. And right now I am doing a stress test on Kombustor with the Triangle of Death capping at around 9000fps, and the coil whine is very loud and high pitched. Will let it cry a bit, to see if it wears off.

Does anyone have a solution ?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't RMA, just replace it. You don;t want even a good functioning CX750 in your PC.

Buy a proper quality PSU.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube