add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help My PC will not Post

GrayAliens2
  • 53 months ago

Ok, So I recently built a PC the parts are...

CPU: Intel i7 5820 GPU: MSI 980 ti PSU: Corsair RM 1000 Kingston Hyper X 8g DDR4 Motherboard: MSI Gaming 9 ACK

Well after I had build it, I powered it on and surprise!, it wouldn't post. By the Led, indicators it wasn't registering the graphics card, and yes I tried all the PCI E slots. So then I though ok its either a problem with the card or Motherboard, I was already going to replace the Motherboard for completely unrelated reasons involving a loose screw, so I ended up RMA-ing both. So after all that hassle I assemble it all back together, and guess what happens, the same thing. So then I thought, well that leaves the PSU, but I've never heard of this happening before. All the lights came on, and the board powered up so what was wrong with the PSU? I tried using multiple and different PCI Express power connectors because the cables are pretty poor quality, and different type 3 power slots out of frustration, but nope same result. As of now I already filed a return/ replacement with Corsair, but now I'm skeptical. Is the problem due to the type of PSU, is the PSU incompatible with my graphics card, and I should have bought a different one? I also think it could be to the surge protector I'm using. The minimum input is AC 100~245 for the PSU and the surge protector outputs 125volts. Could this be the culprit of the improper functioning? Thank you in advance!

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Did you try the paper clip test?

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

could be something causing a short even. in any case good job on the psu rma. the RM1000 is the one that really has mediocre performance out of the bunch, especially being such a hig capacity psu and I hope you are getting an RMx or RMi 1000 back (make sure of this). try a different surge protector and outlet. try taking the motherboard out of the case a booting.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube