add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need a UPS for a 550 W PSU

Yardo
  • 53 months ago

So from what I've read, a 550 W UPS would be overkill for my system: (http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Yardo/saved/CBhp99).

The part list quotes ~299 W usage without taking my capture card, webcam, and whatever monitor I'm going to use into consideration. Is this supposed to be an estimated benchmark wattage?

Does anyone have advice on what UPS would be adequate? (lasts 5-10min) I don't want to buy a kill-a-watt just to figure it out.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

So from my basic knowledge of UPS's, the amount of watts is just the maximum output. As in, if it is fully charged, it can't deliver more than 550 watts at once.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The parts list estimate isn't gospel, and you may want to ask around a bit for a firmer estimate, but it seems fairly reasonable if you're not overclocking anything.

One thing you should do, however, is take into account PSU efficiency. An 80% efficient 400W PSU could take as much as 500W off the wall, and that's the power demand that the UPS sees.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I see 550w isn't that much overkill, sure you don't need it now but it futureproofs your PSU that way if you plan on making some big upgrades to the system later on the power supply won't need to be replaced.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I have both my server and desktop (builds) plugged into a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS at idle I think I get 10~20m if both machines are on. If the desktop is off that skyrockets to like 30~50m with just the server and networking equipment.

If I'm in a game of sorts or anything like that I can pull MAYBE 5m of run time with that UPS. Just enough to stop and shut things down gracefully.

I think max draw of my 2 machines plus networking gear is probably 700~800w. The number bounces a lot though.

Just to give you an idea.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input, guys!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube