add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fan Orientation for best airflow - new to building

MACKA0ili

76 months ago

Hi everyone,

I have just finished my first build and everything is up and running but I am a bit concerned about airflow. I have some basic knowledge of the subject but I have yet to try anything other than the out of box oritenation (intake from the front, exhaust from the back).

I am using a CM Storm Enforcer case that comes with a 200mm front intake fan and a 120mm exhaust. However I also purchased an H55 Corsair water cooler and I replaced the rear fan with the radiator/fan unit. I have the radiator fan running as exhaust but corsair recommends it as an intake and since I now have an extra fan lying around I want to try to have the best airflow possible with the recommended settings.

I was thinking of putting the 120mm fan as the front intake and placing the 200mm fan on the top grill as an exhaust, but I am a complete novice when it comes to pc builds so any suggestions of where I should place the fans would be much appreciated.

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 2 points

Hi most people suggest that you have positive pressure as in more fans intaking than exhausting, for now if your not going to buy anymore fans then fit the 120mm to the top of the case (if it fits obviously)because as we all know hot air rises.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! I figured having more exhaust to remove the hot air created in-case would have been ok, but it makes sense to have more cool air coming in to push the hot air up and out. I looked up positive/negative pressure and I'm seeing a lot of people saying negative is better, any thoughts?

• 76 months ago
  • 2 points

Positive pressure is better (more air pushing in) since it also creates less dust.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

with the internet connection i get to use here i dont look anything up its soo bad they only just let us use youtube again last week. My own system if i remember is fairly equal intake and exhaust think i have 2 intake at the front and 1 exhaust at the back but now i have a H100i fitted in the top also exhausting.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube