add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

first build advice (and list) for a gaming pc at £400

Easiestbrad2000
  • 55 months ago

so im new to the pc side of gaming and im really interested in building one but as for lots of people money is the thing holding me back and knowing next to nothing about pc parts so if you have any advice bout what to look for when buying parts for my pc please tell me. also a recommended parts list would be helpful thanks

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you need beyond the box? Monitor, windows, keyboard, mouse..?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

well i want to spend about £400 on the parts and box then i can spend whatever on the monitor, keyboard and mouse

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor £47.94 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler RAIJINTEK AIDOS BLACK 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £14.99 @ Novatech
Motherboard MSI A68HM-GRENADE Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard £38.40 @ Ebuyer
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory £32.84 @ Ebuyer
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £34.39 @ Aria PC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card £158.14 @ More Computers
Case Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case £28.79 @ Aria PC
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £49.92 @ More Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £405.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-07 17:17 GMT+0000

There is a better build than this for upgrading as this is a dead end for CPU and MOBO but the positive side of that is the CPU and mobo here are both great and cost less than an i3 CPU alone which imo is the only way to do better for most games.

This way also gets you the best GPU for the job and budget and should last a good deal longer than something like the the GTX 950 or 750 Ti's you will get on other builds.

It also gives you a taste of all the nice parts of gaming and if you were to get either of these two monitors, you would be getting one of the best gaming experiences available for the money

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-g2260vwq6-22-1920x1080-tn-freesync-1ms-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-034-ao.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-g2260vwq6-22-1920x1080-tn-freesync-1ms-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-034-ao.html

This is because they use freesync which essentially takes any screen tearing away and makes sure your monitors refresh rate is always matched to the FPS your CPU is pumping out.

Beyond that you can overclock and have a cooler that can manage to give you a reasonable gain. Nice RAM. A really decent motherboard which I believe glows from underneath (if you are into that) and a window on the case so you can appreciate it.

While it doesn't give you perhaps the balance of cpu and gpu and isn't the most efficient in terms of power use I feel it represents the best experience, which I have probably repeated quite a few times by now lol.

As mentioned the only draw back from my point of view is the CPU and mobo are a dead end but as they are cheap I don't think it presents that much of a problem and since the CPU, RAM and Mobo are all nice quality it should be easy to shift on ebay later to get a little bit of money back.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

This build has better upgrade potential but the motherboard is not amazing for the higher end chips you might choose.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor £85.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £36.90 @ Amazon UK
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card £139.99 @ Novatech
Case Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case £28.79 @ Aria PC
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £49.92 @ More Computers
Total £408.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-07 17:19 GMT+0000

You drop to the 2GB version of the graphics card and lose CPU overclocking.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

This gives a decent path to the haswell chips such as 4690K or 4790K if you want to upgrade later. But has the weakest graphics. You could choose to use the pentium G3258 in it's place saving the money to bump the graphics back up but some games will be very unhappy to play on a dual core.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor £85.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £61.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card £119.99 @ Novatech
Case Thermaltake Versa H24 ATX Mid Tower Case £26.57 @ CCL Computers
Total £411.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-07 17:22 GMT+0000
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Just go for the pc, a pc with monitor and windows (150-200£...) AND to make it a rig that can run on 900p+ is impossible.. .-.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I bet that 120GB will fill up too quick, as of him not knowing any pc parts.. He probably doesn't know how low that actually is. I can fill up 500GB in a day with my needs, I don't know about others but I recommend a disk aside of that SSD. Maybe you can fit in a 500GB one?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh and am.. This..

1 additional external 5.25" drive bay is needed.
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer and Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case are not compatible.
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Aight, a compatible build with some more storage :) http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/cspfWZ

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube