add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need a nice Linux PC.

yDonkeyKong
  • 55 months ago

My first build ever. Just wanting something decent. I would appreciate your help very much thank you.

Budget: $300-450 prefer to stay under $400 but would stretch to $450.

Use (Gaming, Rendering, etc): Linux, Tor, bitcoin blockchain "apps", some entertainment (kodi), browser games

Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): monitor, keyboard, mouse,

Operating System required: Linux Mint

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A8-7600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $84.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $60.09 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $36.99 @ Amazon
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $70.98 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Amazon
Monitor AOC I2269VW 60Hz 21.5" Monitor $99.99 @ Best Buy
Keyboard Logitech MK200 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $19.99 @ Mac Mall
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $448.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 03:25 EST-0500

To save money on this build, just pick up a used monitor from craigslist for $40. I've bought some really nice monitors for less than $40 on there. Look for ~19-20" 1680X1050P LCD monitors from Dell, they are usually really nice.

I have experience with the FM2 and FM2+ platform on linux. Works pretty good. Though HDMI audio may require a few configuration file tweaks to sort out if you wanted to use that.

I like Manjaro over LInux Mint. Personal preference but I think it has a lot going for it. I think I've been on the same install of it for near 2 years now, which is way longer than Mint ever ran before "breaking" on me.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

This looks good. Only concern is i read everywhere AMD is a pain with linux. If true could you point me to a guide. Thanks.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

If true could you point me to a guide.

The FM2+ platform is pretty well supported by both open source and AMD drivers at this time. In terms of setup and usage there is very little difference between the FM2+ platform and any other. You shouldn't need any AMD specific guide.

Most of the hurdles that you might run into for hardware setup can exist on any platform with liux, Intel or AMD, like running into a yet-to-be supported SuperIO chip, or an oddball WiFI chip that needs non-free kernel modules to work.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay sounds good thanks heaps. What graphics Card would go with this just in case.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, depends on what you want to do with it.

If you wanted to be able to utilize both the iGPU and a discrete graphics card at the same time to drive many monitors, then you'd want a Radeon GPU like an R7 260X (gigabytes has a really good implementation of this GPU core). On the other hand, if you are talking about an alternative to AMD, turning off integrated graphics, Gigabyte also has some nice implementations of GTX750Ti's that make good general purpose GPU's.

The reason I suggest gigabyte is to do with their configuration of outputs, often superior to the competition, especially on the 750Ti.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep i'd like to have 2 monitors. I'll be looking at tutorials alot so it be nice to see them in hd. Also the less configuration i have to do the better for now as this is my first build. I'm new to this computer stuff but i like it. Thanks.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YWTs23

here you go, this should work solidly while being snappy and responsive. easily upgrade by slapping in a graphics card(750ti..?) and/or additional hard drives(1TB Seagate 7200rpm..?) later on.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for my stupidity, but what would the Graphics Card help out? I like your choices as they are rated well. If i wanted a bit more would this work http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xZVhQ7 or is this minor difference from your setup. Thanks.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

You would gain more available system memory as none would be needed for vram ( the reason I put dual channel instead of single channel ram was for on die gpu), graphics processing would go up as a result of dedicated gpu, gain cuda compatibility; also because no stress of graphics from CPU die graphics, the CPU temps go down overall. You could also do some 1080p gaming or grab a second for third monitor for general use easier.

Wait a sec there's no monitor in that build and I see the case has no price. Do you already have a case and monitor?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd figure ill get the monitor second hand off craiglist or something and case is 39.99 at the moment. I'll be buying this throughout the holidays so hoping for some price drops. How's this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YHWMhM . Question i would like a usb out front will this have that? Thanks.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah that case has 1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 front ports and both are supported by the motherboard, good to go

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this for some sketchy stuff?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor $50.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ECS H81H3-I/HDMI (V1.0) Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $54.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $18.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $24.90 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case $22.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $51.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Hannspree HL161ABB 15.6" Monitor $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Keyboard Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $9.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $419.82
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $389.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-10 01:52 EST-0500
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Only the most bleeding edge unstable kernels support Skylake at this time. This won't be viable for any sort of headache free setup for at least a few more months.

The biggest problem is that the install image of linux mint is going to have a much older kernel on the live media than is needed to actually boot on this hardware.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube