add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Final Build. Wondering what OS should i run??

hitemwidit
  • 55 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $254.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $132.98 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $53.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $86.95 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $309.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $21.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1130.35
Mail-in rebates -$75.00
Total $1055.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 20:38 EST-0500

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 is what I would get.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking that, but i been hearing a lot of bad reviews lol.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally haven't had many problems with it. I would much rather it over 8.1. But if you're skeptical windows 7 is probably still regarded as one of the best versions, if you don't mind the dated UI.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard from a lot folks that haven't had any issues and love it.

Btw i got the same case as you for my upcoming build, also thinking about getting the same card.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, install Windows 10, I've got it and haven't had any issues yet.

Or if you want to get other OS, install Windows 7 ultimate x64 :)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 95 mobile. JK. I would use Windows 10 or Linux/SteamOS depending on the games you play.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

MS-DOS would be perfect for this build.

Jk. But if you don't like going with Windows 10 or aren't comfortable with going with it now, I would recommend going with Windows 7 for now and doing the free upgrade to 10 before July 2016. Yes, it still is a fairly new OS, so there are going to be some big bug issues that need to be fixed. But by say March or April, most of it will be resolved, so upgrading then would be optimal.

Windows 8.x is ok. The OS is great for gaming and is more refined than Windows 7 on the technical side. (Boot-up times, data transfer speeds, RAM usage, etc.) On the aesthetics side... Not so much. The tile UI doesn't appease to most users and is, for the most part, confusing and annoying.

SteamOS is a perfectly viable free OS that runs off Linux. While it doesn't support ALL Steam games, it supports many of the major ones.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

APPROVED!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10. You can actually tweak the things most people dislike about it. You can even make the UI more like Windows 7 if you really wanted to while keeping the additional benefits.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Debian 7 is good. What will the computer be used for?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this system Purely for Gaming ??

Personally like Linux Mint for my Day to Day..

Hope this Helps !!

• 55 months ago
  • 0 points

Windows 10! There are plenty of guides on the net to lock down the information collection stuff and then it runs really well.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube