add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is Mac OS better?

Ralphort
  • 55 months ago

Never own a Mac nor tried running a Mac OS before but I'm curious about it. Thinking of running one (without Bootcamp for Windows) instead of Windows like those Hackintosh builds. I just don't feel as safe with Windows with all those security vulnerabilities with the OS (viruses, spywares, malwares, keyloggers, etc.). I've read that hackers usually hack on PCs (might be because lots of people using it than Macs). All my games are on Steam too so running games is not a problem. Any thoughts?

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

If you are mainly on your computer to game, don't get a Mac/use OS X, this comes from a lifetime user of Apple computers, I've owned 7 different computers/laptops since I was a young lad. The support isn't there for all games (especially in Steam) and other separate titles.

The less amount of the worries you have stated is a major plus, my other love of OS X over windows is the GUI, it's streamlined and visually stunning as compared to the ugly/boring Windows.

I am actually moving from OS X to Windows because I want to game at a higher level and the quality/price/availability of hardware just outweighs what Apple can do.

If I could afford a Mac Pro I'd do it in a heartbeat, it'd still not be as good at gaming compared to a cheaper alternative running Windows.

One way to make a windows build more safe is to always run an Antivirus (from a reputable company) don't click adds/stay off of unknown or suspicious sites, and never click "Ok" or "yes" on a prompt without READING!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I think that you will be underwhelmed. And the Mac OS is not any safer, as a matter of fact, it's less secure, not from any structural reason but the fact that Apple users are not so social engineered for this crap. Everyone on Windows knows of the issues whereas the Macheads are not so on the ball so things can get by and remedies can be obscure or at least be a PITA after-the-fact solution.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I've read an article by AVG comparing the vulnerability of both OSs...

quoted text: If anyone's going to spend the time & take the risk to devise a malware or virus attack, they're going to want the biggest return on their investment. That's why Windows users are more vulnerable than Mac users.

The fact that (according to article) 90% of the world's computers are still controlled by Windows OSs makes it more vulnerable to attacks.

A recent article on Yahoo! Tech last August points on Macs as safer...

The winner : OS X

quoted text: Macs are a scoche safer simply because they are less likely to be targeted in cyberattacks.

The winner: OS X

quoted text: Both Apple and Microsoft are pulling out browser vulnerabilities, but Apple has been working on it longer.

The winner: OS X

quoted text: Apple’s automated security for programs protects users better.

The El Capitan is also free as a fresh install or upgrade. Wanna hear from Mac OS users. Anyone?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Steam still has more Game Titles available for Windows than either Mac OS, or Linux (Steam OS).. Might just keep that in mind..

Hope this Helps !!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I know a guy who runs a non-genuine Windows, and a payed anti-malware, it's like he's not going to reward M$ for making Windows but he'll reward the system for having malware LOLOLOL. . .

Security should come with the system. IMHO most malware can be avoided if you don't do anything wrong. and there's a well written article; security report windows vs linux, and you might want to read the part 'Windows vs. Linux Design' as there are design similarities between Linux and Mac OS X.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The article I gave you does have some errors though. Such as saying Linux is modular, it is not. Linux (the kernel) is monolithic and is part of a modular system, GNU+Linux is modular and I don't know about Android but I doubt it.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been happy over 4yrs of being an OSX Hackintosh user. I use vmware fusion for what I need, not much games for steam on them but could also cause issues for being VM Which could also cause issues on the host pc itself for any slowness or anything.

Also may not use the graphics card on the VMware, so any hard games that's only on Windows, I would choose a dual boot in case and use Windows for those games.

Don't use an anti virus for osx bc it much slow your pc even thou its fast to run it, had issues when I use kaspersky for the hell of it.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll stick with Windows then.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

thats ok, make sure you make a image of your system just incase whatever happens to your pc that you can revert to w/o having to install all your programs, good start amount with basic programs is about 22GB including all windows 7 updates, now it might be 25GB.

If you do however like to try out OS X, might spend some time on how to do it if you don't have an apple pc, didn't take me long to make a usb hackintosh thumb drive without having an apple pc, on my old laptop, easy way without having an apple pc is to download a mac vmware version for windows along with the patch for vmware windows to able to start the OS X, after that, its an easy process from there depending on how fast the pc/laptop is to make a thumb drive.

And spend a little time to stop it from either freezing up, problems booting up, safemode, verbos mode. best way to do it and help is to head over to http://tonymacx86.com. if you wanted amd, you gotta find another forum that does amd bc they won't accept talking on how to run on amd.

Only thing that kasperky kept showing as virus was the programs and hacks i do for windows which had no effect on an OS X Operating System.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not a gamer and I was/still kind of, using OS X on a mac mini - tiny little box, and very quiet. When I made the switch 4+ yrs ago I liked it very much. It was super easy to use - connected to my wireless printer in so little time as compared to doing anything like that in Windows - I was amazed at the ease. The daily back-up that is part of the OS is great and super easy to set up. Never had any virus issues, no protective software installed either. Videos in full screen mode worked without any lag - my Windows box often had issues.

I would continue to use it but, I upgraded the OS X so that I could upgrade XCode and that's when things went downhill. The mac mini doesn't have enough CPU power and RAM to handle the recent OS X and XCode versions. I don't have the budget to get an iMAC, so back to my windows machine and upgraded that one.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube