add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Quiet Alternative to SilverStone SX500-LG?

smoothbit
  • 53 months ago

Can anyone please recommend a ~500W PSU that's no more than 140mm deep and ideally makes as little noise as possible?

A few days ago I built my long-dreamed-about Skylake computer (parts listed below) and played several days of surprisingly smooth GTA V at 2560x1440.

The only problem that I've run into is that the SilverStone SX500-LG power supply makes a very annoying chirping/clicking sound when under medium load.

(It's silent when first switched on, and under heavy load it makes a nice hum.)

I had read about other people experiencing this same problem but hoped I'd get lucky. As it is very distracting I plan to return it and buy a different PSU.

My machine should use 250W at most, so I think a 500W PSU is enough. My main requirement is that it be quiet.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor €218.83
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler €44.90
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard €139.94
Memory Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory €94.11
Storage Crucial MX200 500GB M.2-2260 Solid State Drive €181.99
Video Card KFA2 GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card €173.50
Case RAIJINTEK Metis (Red) Mini ITX Tower Case €54.55
Power Supply SilverStone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply €80.49
Case Fan SilverStone SST-FF122B Fan Filter €4.99
Total €993.30

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

check out the Cyonic AU-550x. the 450 watt version is more than enough for this build as well.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks interesting, I can't find it for sale in Germany. Can you recommend a place?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know all the places that sell it in Europe. second option is a better psu, the Coolermaster VSM 550. the reason I didn't recommend those first is that the cyonic has a quieter fan and I've heard reports of a mild clicking from the fan on the CM units. like the EVGA G2 units, they use a double ball bearing fan. whether it will be an issue for you I can't say.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I found it on Amazon.de for ~107€ and while that seems too expensive to me, I may get it if I have bad luck with the next PSU I try.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Seeing as the SX500-LG was perfect except for the chirping/clicking sound, I decided to try another SilverStone PSU, the ST50F-ESB. It's not modular but it is only 140mm deep and the fan doesn't have a 0dbA mode, so the fan should run at a constant hum.

Unfortunately the one I received seems to be DOA, and seeing as the cables are far too long and numerous, I'm taking the opportunity to return it and try something else.

PureBlackFire suggested the Cooler Master V550S, and if I can't find anything cheaper I may get that.

However, ~107€ is quite a jump over the ~80€ SX500-LG I originally had, especially as I don't want anything fancy, just a reliable and consistantly-quiet PSU.

Can anyone recommend anything else?

Are the Corsair CS550M or CX500M worth considering?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Very possibly. In the end I went with what looks to be the same PSU from a different vendor, the main difference being that the fan is always spinning quietly. It's worked out well for me, and I'm glad yours has worked out well for you. If you'd like to see some comparison pictures of the two PSUs, check out photos #29-#33 in my most recent build.

EDIT - Oh wait, you already commented on that build! But so in case you missed the photos, it's those five.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube