add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need to build a 4k hackintosh for under 1350.

alecklem13
  • 55 months ago

Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help me build a 4k hackintosh for under 1350, explain to me what parts work for a hackintosh (tonys website didn't help me) or tell me if my pc part build will be compatible with 4k and a mac software. My build is: Intel I7 6700k 4.0 quad core processer for overclocking. A Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard for future proofing 32 gb of ram G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory 1tb of storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive A Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card just because I heard that they are good for 4k. This Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case case because I don't really care about cases and I needed something cheap (leave me a suggestion if you find something better for all of these) And a fully modular 1000 amp (for future proofing) power supply; EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

If you guys could comment and change something to save me a little bit of money or make something better then definitely do that. Thanks!

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $324.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $82.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Patriot Blast 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $44.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card $659.99 @ Amazon
Case Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Directron
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1392.70
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1352.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-12 00:30 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Skylake Macintosh computers aren't out yet, so a Skylake hackintosh is currently not possible. If you insist on Skylake for the system, I'd hold off on the motherboard until you know what is compatible.

Also worth noting that the 390 performs better than the 970 at 4k for a similar price.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean sky lake? Also thanks for the part tip.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Skylake is the newest CPU lineup from Intel. It runs on the LGA-1151 socket, with native support for ddr4 RAM.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

When do you think the sky lake Macintosh will be out? So basically are you saying that the Intel I7 4790k is a part of the sky lake lineup but since it is new it is not compatible with a Macintosh? And you are saying that the sky lake lineup runs on LGA-1151 socket, so I need to get a motherboard which has that. Also in your previous comment you said that if I insisted on sky lake, and if I didn't what would be some other options?

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

The 4790k is part of the Haswell family, on the lga-1150 socket.

The reason that skylake is currently not compatible with Mac OS is because Macintosh hasn't really rolled out their computers with Skylake processors yet, so people haven't been able to reverse engineer the compatibility yet. The Skylake processors are the 6xxx line, while Haswell are the 4xxx line.

Skylake should be out in Macintosh computers by the beginning of next year.

It's possible currently to run a skylake hackintosh, but it's not nearly as easy as Haswell since Haswell is so well-documented already. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308178-el-capitan-wih-i7-6700-skylake-gigabyte-ga-z170-hd3-palit-jetstream-gtx960/

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you so much you have helped me a lot. But one more thing. Do you think that I should wait for the skylake or not. Because if its not way better then I am not going to wait because I need to buy my parts on black friday or cyber monday.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Not a hackintosh expert but doesn't hackintosh have compatibility issues with amd graphics card?

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

I would highly doubt it seeing as their $3000 dollar computers use an AMD M290.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know. Thanks

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

1500 what.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

No You Dont XD

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Look At My Build XD

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

None of that is necessary

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube