add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
micahross
  • 55 months ago

My wife is a huge fan of the Model M keyboard. They're huge: 2.63 x 19.25 x 8.25 in. For some odd reason, I'm studying for the CompTIA A+ certs, and I noticed that the mini-ITX motherboards are tiny: 6.7 × 6.7 in. I wondered if I could make a little project of building a PC inside a Model M -- essentially what Commodore 64 used to do back in the day. I kept thinking that heat would be a problem. Just like it was for the Commodore 64 back in the day. As I'm trying to put this together, I keep running into incompatibilities. Right now, I'm having problems getting ANY cooling unit to pair up.

I'm well aware that I'm going to have to make a modification to the Model M case. I'm thinking a riser to separate the halves. It will be annoyingly thick -- just like the Commodore 64 was back in the day, but this is more of a fun, novelty build than anything else.

Budget: I'm trying to run cheap, but... in some ways, I don't really care. I wouldn't balk at an extra $100 to finish the project, but I don't really need anything special. See "Use".

Use (Gaming, Rendering, etc): Yeah, this is an old lady's computer. She doesn't/can't do much more than MS-Word (ugh) and Firefox. I'm really more concerned about heat than cost or specs.

Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): Ideally, this would have a mouse. You know about the keyboard already. Monitor? Not picky. Just something she can keep near her chair.

Operating System required: Win7+. She's not Unix-ready, hates LibreOffice, and surfs the web a lot. I could go back pretty far in Windows before there was a conflict, but it looks like M$ will brick 7 and 8 soon enough, so I figure 10 will be what it runs on.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

How about something like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $63.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H81TM-ITX R2.0 Thin Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $74.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1066 Memory $23.00 @ Amazon
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $44.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply CoolMax 300W Micro ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $90.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor $131.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business Wired Optical Mouse $8.99 @ Adorama
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $458.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-12 08:36 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks great and believe me that I appreciate the help, but... what about the cooling? That was the deal-killer on every build I tried to put together.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

The stock cooler for the Pentium should be fine if you can get some air flow through the Keyboard case. You are simply going to have to do some type of cutouts or grids and custom mounts for fans.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi again! I'm looking over this list. I like it! I was wondering why I couldn't find the motherboard by filtering the options at http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#m=7&f=8&sort=a8&page=1&c=92 (ticking ASRock, mini-ITX, H81). I see the "Thin Mini" implies the SODIMMs, but I would not have found this part...

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

The Thin Mini motherboard simply get their own group, so they are not going to show up when just looking for Mini-ITX.

Also watch out when looking for parts, the compatibility filter will not show part that would not work for the last build you were modifying, even if that was the last time you were on the site.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got a few partslists saved, so I haven't run into that problem, but thanks!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

This may be my last question, but... that power supply was looking a little thick to me. Why is it a MicroATX? The MiniITX supply looks smaller. Is there something I want to avoid there?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I was guessing at what would fit. Yes, you might have to go smaller, or even figure out a way to have the power supply be external. Once you figure out how much room you have left you can figure out the power supply. Just double check that the supply has the right connectors and try and find something that has a decent review.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube