add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
BuchFlake
  • 55 months ago

Hello everybody! I would like help building my very own server, I have heard various opinions and would like to post here so I can make my final decision with all of your help. I know I need a purpose for my server but I am not sure what that is yet. Do you guys have any opinions? I get Windows Home Server for "free" from my school(which is probably just added into my tuition). I am currently a networking student and I think building my own server would be a fun and educational thing to do so when I take more network/server admin classes I might be "ahead of the curve." Some things that I have read say that you basically need a server grade motherboard and some good hard drive space and everything else is up to you. I have seen some builds with a 90 dollar processor and some with a 300 dollar one. I have already built my own PC for about 1200 dollars and would like to stick to about half of that as my budget for my server. So this thing does not have to be some huge work horse because I am probably going to either use it as a cloud, VPN, or maybe have things like emails run threw it. If you could please put some parts list in the comments and give me some suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, Blake

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $192.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Supermicro X10SLL-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $159.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Sandisk X210 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $94.00 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $606.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-13 02:40 EST-0500

The idea here being that you have a true server motherboard with server technologies for you to train with (like IPMI).

Here's the haswell-EP version:

Here's the PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E5-2603 V3 1.6GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor $205.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Scythe SCKTN-4000 55.5 CFM CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRI-F $288.00
Memory Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Arctic White) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.98 @ Mac Mall
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $847.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-13 02:05 EST-0500

Skylake E3 Xeon option (not available yet)...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Xeon E3-1220 V5 $193.00
Motherboard SuperMicro X11SSM-F $200.00
Memory 8GB Unbuffered ECC UDIMM $65.00
Case Nanoxia NXDS4W MicroATX Mini Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.98 @ Mac Mall

| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts | | Total | ESTIMATED $736.97 | Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-13 02:29 EST-0500 |

This one probably won't be available for a few more weeks/months.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow thanks! I appreciate all the time and effort you put into this reply. I will look into all of this and thanks again!!!

Blake

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Also one more thing. What is the advantage of having DDR4 ram in a server? Thnaks!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

DDR4 in and of itself is not a particularly significant advantage. It just happens to be the new memory standard implemented for Haswell-EP and Skylake platforms (including that E3 V5, which is a skylake Xeon).

From a technical standpoint, it offers higher bandwidth, so this is one of many factors that combine to give these platforms a bit more umpf tan their predecessors. DDR4 also operates at reduced voltage and power, which, from the perspective of a single machine is pretty meaningless but on an enterprise scale does add up.

For what you want to do with this, the existing haswell E3 Xeon with a C22X series chipset will work fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube