add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Stryker7200
  • 55 months ago

Hey guys, I have put together my first "from scratch" build. historically I have always purchased some type of pre-built PC and upgraded it, mostly just RAM, GPU, & PSU upgrades. I have never completed a parts build. Anyway, my goal is to upgrade to a current gaming rig that will last me 3+ yrs at 1080P gaming. I don't anticipate moving to 1440P for a good 4-5 years at least. However, I do want to be able max out 1080P gaming now so I won't have to worry about upgrading for several years. I am currently still running a 32 bit OS and have a GTX 260 with 4 gigs of RAM. I can't even max Skyrim, a 4-yr old game! Needless to say the 32-bit OS is holding me back quite a bit as well now, as more and more games are requiring a 64-bit OS. I ran into this with Cities Skylines & Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition this year already. While I typically play Mid-lower end games (Lots of Paradox titles), I am now starting to run into trouble with those as well.

Anyways, if you guys wouldn't mind giving me feedback on the build I have created I would appreciate. Any other recommendations would be welcome. I'd like to move to Skylake just for the "future proofing", but I am not interested in overclocking anything. I'd like to keep my budget under $1,200 USD. Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Stryker7200/saved/#view=JsxJ7P

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you are not overclocking, you might want to change that motherboard to a H110 or H170 as these chipsets are meant for locked CPU's. The Z170 are meant for CPU's with a "K" in the end of the names.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tip. Any opinions about moving to Skylake? is this still considered unnecessary cost wise? And any opinions on the GPU architecture that will be coming next year? I have heard it may be a pretty big jump. Would any of you recommend going with a cheaper card now and then upgrading the GPU next year? Thanks!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube