add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What do you think we are missing in graphics?

shottycall

50 months ago

Games over just the past couple years have gotten extremely advanced and they are getting more and more real looking. But you can still tell when it's not real. There are some screenshots that look real and quickly glancing at some gameplay sometimes looks real but actually playing you know it's a game.

What do you think is missing to make a game look like you were holding up a video camera recording real life?

I think it's lighting, shadows, and focus. A game has to have pretty much everything in focus cause it's not sure where your eyes are looking and I know lighting and shadows can really work a GPU.

I saw a video on youtube about a company working on animating faces with extreme skin detail and I honestly wasn't sure if it was animated or recorded. (I can't find the video atm). I also watched a short making of the Ethan Carter short game and they took tons of pictures and scans of rocks and trees at different times of the day to get the game lighting look as real as possible.

We have GPU's now that can render 4k gaming so I think texture and model resolutions are where we need them to be.

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

I believe that eventually, graphics will become so realistic that the only developments to be made are not in how realistic things look, but the distance at which they can be rendered.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the emotions on faces and how the reactions work. Same with walking and interactions. As well as character movements and more real, repeated actions. Not to mentions textures and just little details here and there. Also, when characters and their clothing mixes with the background. Or when repetitions of the same person and sayings.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Software > Games / Gaming".

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Better textures. Better lighting. Inspiration from trips. Focusing on each frame, instead of the idea of finishing a game. Create your own special animation software. Make charaters look less makeup-blasted. Abolish the polygon-base system, unless it works extremely well. If all goes well, we could be looking at games that all filled with scenes and charaters like this

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say we are lucky they cost what they do. Just think about what it takes to make all those chips, and so small

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Look on ebay and craigslist at older gen cards. Some are still pretty powerful. But you'll never play game on high/ultra with a $150 gpu budget

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

The cheap GPU's I have experence with are the $85 AMD A10-5800k integrated graphics on the cpu and a $170 Used GTX760. The 760 can run games on high 1080p pretty well. The AMD a10 integrated graphics could do medium-high. Oh I had a Gigabyte GT740 for a short while that i got used for $50. It played on high settings pretty well

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube