add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A new site is coming

philip

48 months ago

Monday? That's the goal. But then again, there are estimates, and then there are software engineering estimates. Take the latter and multiply by 2-10x for a realistic value. I think my estimates are in the 4-10x range. Some, like forum search, are in the 100x range.

But yeah - we're launching a new site next week. We're reusing a lot of what we have at PCPartPicker, but instead focusing on laptops and tablets. We know it's not quite where we want it yet, but we also want to get it in the hands of users to see what works and what doesn't. So in a few days, I'll post a link to the new site, and would love to hear your feedback (be it good, bad, etc.)

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't really understand this, are we building tablets and laptops ? Oh please... Please be this.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Sadly no, it is not that.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Could you explain ? I really don't understand how this will work at all. Is is just a tool to help you find the best prices for laptops and tablets, or a place for people to leave reviews or ? That sounds like a good idea, I'm sure you all have done much better than anything I could dream of though.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty sure it's to help find laptops and tablets in general, with pricing and links to them, like you have it in here for components. But no building and such

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Instead of building your own pc, we should kickstart a way to build your own tablet.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! Cool! Amazing! Super rad! Groovy!

Will we have to make new accounts, or will we be able to use our PCPP accounts?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

You'll need to make new accounts. We debated a lot on whether or not to carry over accounts - in the end - the long-term strategy - it didn't fit. (Plus we didn't want people thinking of the sites as separate, then one account change affecting the other.)

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok then, hopefully nobody uses the username before I get a chance to make an account! :D

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

There's still some time for implementation - we may institute a time window where usernames are locked down unless you initially register with the same email as what you supplied with pcpartpicker. I'm sure some people will want to take over usernames of some of the top posters here.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I can only imagine the great sea of people claiming they are the original s0ckpuppet. That does sound like a good system though. Can't wait, I'm going to probably be glued to the computer all weekend now, and during school on monday!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

??? never heard of this sockpuppet.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, something to look forward to!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

What will the site focus on? Or is it a suprise.....

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Definintely going to check out, but I'm not really a laptop guy and too broke for a tablet so, I won't register... for now

Hopefully no one takes my name :(

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I did anyway, to beat the boredom at work lol

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 0 points

I just did a WHOIS lookup to see if I could find any domain names you guys registered. Nothing, but "pcpartpicker.graphics" is available!

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, it borrows a lot of the look and feel.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

We're just launching it as is. I don't really believe in labelling a website in "beta".

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

It's technically up and running right now on the production servers, we just haven't given out the url yet.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

:) We'll post the url once we feel it's ready for people to test it out - likely Monday.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube