• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

philip 41 months ago

Monday? That's the goal. But then again, there are estimates, and then there are software engineering estimates. Take the latter and multiply by 2-10x for a realistic value. I think my estimates are in the 4-10x range. Some, like forum search, are in the 100x range.

But yeah - we're launching a new site next week. We're reusing a lot of what we have at PCPartPicker, but instead focusing on laptops and tablets. We know it's not quite where we want it yet, but we also want to get it in the hands of users to see what works and what doesn't. So in a few days, I'll post a link to the new site, and would love to hear your feedback (be it good, bad, etc.)

Comments Sorted by:

Growliff1234 1 point 41 months ago

I don't really understand this, are we building tablets and laptops ? Oh please... Please be this.

philip staff submitter 10 Builds 1 point 41 months ago

Sadly no, it is not that.

Growliff1234 2 points 41 months ago

Could you explain ? I really don't understand how this will work at all. Is is just a tool to help you find the best prices for laptops and tablets, or a place for people to leave reviews or ? That sounds like a good idea, I'm sure you all have done much better than anything I could dream of though.

Thefan630 1 Build 1 point 41 months ago

Pretty sure it's to help find laptops and tablets in general, with pricing and links to them, like you have it in here for components. But no building and such

piemancoder 1 point 41 months ago

Awesome! Cool! Amazing! Super rad! Groovy!

Will we have to make new accounts, or will we be able to use our PCPP accounts?

You'll need to make new accounts. We debated a lot on whether or not to carry over accounts - in the end - the long-term strategy - it didn't fit. (Plus we didn't want people thinking of the sites as separate, then one account change affecting the other.)

Ok then, hopefully nobody uses the username before I get a chance to make an account! :D

There's still some time for implementation - we may institute a time window where usernames are locked down unless you initially register with the same email as what you supplied with pcpartpicker. I'm sure some people will want to take over usernames of some of the top posters here.

I can only imagine the great sea of people claiming they are the original s0ckpuppet. That does sound like a good system though. Can't wait, I'm going to probably be glued to the computer all weekend now, and during school on monday!

[comment deleted]
190n 2 Builds 1 point 41 months ago

Alright, something to look forward to!

Xorex64 1 point 41 months ago

What will the site focus on? Or is it a suprise.....

Calzs34 1 point 41 months ago

Awesome!

Definintely going to check out, but I'm not really a laptop guy and too broke for a tablet so, I won't register... for now

Hopefully no one takes my name :(

[comment deleted]

I did anyway, to beat the boredom at work lol

[comment deleted]
190n 2 Builds 0 points 41 months ago

I just did a WHOIS lookup to see if I could find any domain names you guys registered. Nothing, but "pcpartpicker.graphics" is available!

[comment deleted]

Yep, it borrows a lot of the look and feel.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

We're just launching it as is. I don't really believe in labelling a website in "beta".

[comment deleted]

It's technically up and running right now on the production servers, we just haven't given out the url yet.

[comment deleted]

:) We'll post the url once we feel it's ready for people to test it out - likely Monday.

[comment deleted]