add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

suggestions for 4k video and photo editing machine

nicht99
  • 55 months ago

Hi everyone I'm looking for some suggestions on putting together a machine that will be used primarily for photo editing work as well as some 4k video editing. the video editing is , right now, mainly personal so I don't require the fastest rig; i will be using a 4k monitor and maybe will upgrade to a 5k monitor. I would like to future proof it by adding a graphics card, which supports hdmi 2.0 . thanks

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi nicht99,

Any sort of budget you're aiming for?

How large are your image editing projects? Do you open lots of files at once or work on huge file sizes (like a photoshop file several hundred MB or 1GB+?)

What 4K monitor do you have or plan to buy?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

photo editing is not very intensive: 20 megapixel raw files in lightroom. video editing : 30 Gigabytes prores 444 my main concern is pushing all those pixels on a 4k or 5k monitor. i tried the imac 5k and it was sluggish and laggy, even using basic photo editing software.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It's possible that your sluggish experience on the iMac could have been related to a lack of memory or software issues. Lightroom is going through some teething pains to get the interface and interactive real-time elements GPU accelerated.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

budget $1700

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

have a dell u2715q. plan on getting a dell 5k monitor

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Assume you mean the P2715Q?

If so, great choice. Lets make sure your build takes full advantage of 10 bit IPS display there. FirePro or Quadro is in your future.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

this is the parts list i compiled: what can be improved http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/r8vqt6

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

So this is a Canadian build?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

i will be using a 4k monitor and maybe will upgrade to a 5k monitor. I would like to future proof it by adding a graphics card, which supports hdmi 2.0 . thanks

The way that 5K is currently supported is by basically treating the monitor as 2 logical displays combined into a single "screen." This is supported by GPU's with at least 2 displayport 1.2 connections. To be honest, I would call 5K a highly immature "transitional" technology at this time. Let Apple have that one for now it is not ready for mainstream anyway. It will cause more problems than it solves at this time.

I'd MUCH rather have a PAIR of 4K monitors side by side than a single 5K monitor for that sort of work. It'll be MORE screen real-estate and actually have less implementation/interface issues.

Here's a proper workstation build with 10 bit color support and massive memory and disk expansion capabilities:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E5-1620 V3 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $405.98 @ Newegg Canada
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $49.90 @ Newegg Canada
Motherboard Supermicro X10SRA $348.00
Memory Crucial 16GB (1 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory $161.00 @ shopRBC
Memory Crucial 16GB (1 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory $161.00 @ shopRBC
Storage Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $158.11 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Western Digital Red Pro 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $193.50 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card HP FirePro W5100 4GB Video Card $428.80 @ shopRBC
Case Antec P100 ATX Mid Tower Case $91.19 @ DirectCanada
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $123.54 @ DirectCanada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2121.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-14 22:44 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 0 points

Get a gtx 980 ti and some kind of CPU with hyperhtreading. Also, more than 8 gb of ram may help.

• 55 months ago
  • 0 points

While this is about 2x your budget, it's still good to consider if you take income from the work you do on this PC.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vRpz4D

The Xeon is cheap for 8 cores, and it will crush anything!

The Titan X does insane video rendering, the 980 ti would've served well too, but the Titan X is basically a 980 ti but with better video editing capabilities.

The 4 3tb hdds will be in RAID 10, giving you 6tb of storage, with high security if a drive fails.

The RAM is low CAS Latency, which you'll benefit from if you edit videos.

the two ssds are your boot drives in RAID 0, for fast loading. also have your important programs on there, as they will be blazin' fast.

The monitor is just a suggestion, but if you have one already, use the one you have. It's really just a placeholder.

I understand this isn't practical, but once again, if you take income, It's something I'd strongly consider.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The Xeon is cheap for 8 cores, and it will crush anything!

The E5-1650 V3 is a better value CPU for a single socket motherboard. Much better performance in image manipulation. No "wasted" support for multi-socket applications.

If you're not going to use ECC memory then the i7-5820K is an better value still.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Lightroom-CC-6-Multi-Core-Performance-649/

There's very little performance scaling beyond 4-6 cores in lightroom/photoshop.

The Titan X does insane video rendering, the 980 ti would've served well too,

Neither of those GPU's support 10 bit color space in photoshop/lightroom/premier etc. There's very little performance scaling beyond a GTX750/K1200/R7-260/W5100 in photoshop/lightroom even on a 4K display. Given the OP's focus on image manipulation over video editing, a $1000 gaming GPU is really pointless here. A Titan X would rarely run over 20% utilization in lightroom even on a 4K display.

Even for video editing, such a GPU is going to go largely underutilized. These are still dominantly CPU bound workloads.

The RAM is low CAS Latency, which you'll benefit from if you edit videos.

RAM timings will have no tangible impact on video editing performance.

The 4 3tb hdds will be in RAID 10, giving you 6tb of storage, with high security if a drive fails.

RAID arrays are more likely to cause problems and loose data than simply using individual drives and doing manual backup. The only time RAID should be used is where sequential bandwidth needs to be higher than possible from a single drive. RAID configurations introduce the unforeseen failure mode, that is, that the raid "array" is defined by files which could be corrupted.

the two ssds are your boot drives in RAID 0, for fast loading. also have your important programs on there, as they will be blazin' fast.

Actually the increase latency and compute overhead introduced by RAID0 will actually make access time worse than just using a single SSD. Access performance does not improve in RAID configurations. Using RAID0 for a system/software drive will only increase the chances of failure (by 2-3+fold) of the system drive without any improvement in software loading or booting speed. Doubling sequential bandwidth does very little for performance in real world loading/booting workloads, the gains are lost to the overhead of the RAID setup.

I understand this isn't practical,

Practical isn't the issue, the whole build is based misinformation.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally don't have experience with the software listed, so I didn't know any of this truly. I'm basing this off of my research and personal experiences, while it may not be the best, it would still be a very good candidate.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

"The 4 3tb hdds will be in RAID 10, giving you 6tb of storage, with high security if a drive fails."

That's why.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube