add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

first time builder need input from community

LiteEmUp
  • 53 months ago

hello as this will be my first time posting to this site..

im a pc gamer for at least a decade now and shamefully admitting as a laptop gamer(well due to school and i prefer back then gaming on the go), but now i want to experience greener pastures to switch to desktop gaming...

i used to have a non-gaming desktop, so i have at least basic knowldege on how to take care of my computer and how to fix it software-wise... so right now this will be my very first time building a pc, and im both excited and worried of screwing it up..

currently i have a m17 alieware m17 with a 2.5ghz i7-4710mq, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, & gtx 880m.. i can still play any games and play most games on max settings with 60fps... bought witcher 3 and played it last summer to only medium settings with ~40+fps..

i came to a realization that medium or low settings with <60fps is not going to be enough for me anymore, and might as well just go console gaming..

so i want to build my first own desktop gaming and get a consistent 60fps 1080p and entry into the 1440p 4k race lol...

things i prefer:

-- budget is $1500-1600; would consider going abit more but for only not much lol; prefer if the build is really good and save more money lol

-- i prefer to get a rig that would give me better experience than my current alienware

-- SLI is not top priority, but might consider down the line if its worth doing it

-- overclocking cpu is not top priority first since im a newbie, but would like to do it sometime in the future to get the most of gaming experience

-- i know going AMD would save me a ton of money, but for now i prefer Intel/NVIDIA due to past experience with there hardware..

-- color scheme is mix of red and blue; would consider go out of color scheme if there is a good quality part

-- already got a keyboard, mouse, tv, and w8.1 as OS

-- already got 6 case fans(coolermaster jetflo 120) and a fan controller, as i have these as my custom laptop cooler..

-- i like to record gameplay and build on my youtube videos..

-- also down the line would consider live broadcasting(either through steam, youtube, or twitch)

so far these are the builds i've planning to choose from(unless you guys can modify it to a better build)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6h4VvK - XEON GTX 980ti $1488.31

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7WzfwP - i7 gtx980ti $1611.70

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jyx3D3 - i5 gtx980ti $1454.02

motherboard = i have not much knowledge regarding quality of motherboard brands for first time builders.. read on some forums that never skimp on motherboards or you'll regret it.. tried to get i think good quality based from stars/reviews(is it a good idea?) while at same time get a $100 board

ram = does it matter which brand?? better to do 1 16gb stick(to save money) or 2 gb sticks??

gpu = i like the looks of the msi.. but is the quality of performance and brand as good as the other 980ti's on the same similar price range(like the zotac amp extreme, or gigabyte GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD)

cpu = the i5 4690k is cheaper than the i7 4790k, but not sure how it performs when you livestream or make cool youtube vids.. is xeon as good as alot claim with i7 performance for the price range of i5???

case = i just want the most cool looking ones, while at the same time not overspending on em..

powersupply = im not much knowledgeable regarding quality of brands.. but read on other forums that choosing a psu is like choosing your motherboard.. i just went with the cheapest i can see with a gold certification

soundcard = do i need to spend on these or just skip it??

wireless/wired network adapter = waste of money and skip or not?

cpu cooler = went with the hyper 212 plus instead of the evo version due to getting a combo with a thermal paste lol; should i get evo and just get the thermal paste from a local store?? does brand of thermal paste matters or its thermal paste(like ram is ram)

storage = for now im settling on a small ssd size since i want it for the OS and maybe just some programs; the 2tb is for storing steam games, and the 1tb is for where i want to save the gameplay recordings for less performance impact while playing; is WD really the best quality and Seagate low quality or its just a matter of preference to make it worth the extra price??

im hoping i can get good feedback from the community here before thanksgiving, as im eyeing hopefully good blackfriday/cybermonday deals for some of these parts..

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so which build to get will depend on what else you do while gaming. If you record/stream then the i7 or xeon would be a good choice. Furthermore, if you do editing as well then hyperthreading on these cpu's will definitely help. However, if you just game then the i5 is perfectly fine. At this price, I would also suggest a skylake build such as this:

You wont need a wired network adaptor (motherboard already has this) and a soundcard isnt really necessary unless you are an audiophile :P Onboard sound from the motherboard is pretty decent. Wireless network adaptor to connect to wifi so if you have a wired connection you can remove this.

I went with the Cryorig H7 as it has better performance than the hyper 212 plus. You wont need thermal paste as it comes preapplied.

I went with 8GB ram as it is enough for gaming and i wanted to keep the budget down to roughly what you had in your builds. You can always upgrade to more if you feel that it is neccesary.

I chose a cheaper but still high quality psu. A gold rated psu is not necessarily good. Gold certification just tells you its efficiency.

Between WD and seagate i think it really is a personal thing. There are people saying WD is crap and unreliable and there are just as many saying the same about seagate.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $389.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $124.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $46.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $62.44 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $116.63 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card $656.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (Red) ATX Full Tower Case $128.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ NCIX US
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-N53 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $12.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1679.49
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $1619.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-15 07:47 EST-0500
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is my opinion: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xyFCTW

1) CPU: Definitly go with i7 for multitasking, use of hyperthreading. I went with new Skylake for gaiming performance and productivity effeciency and a great base to upgrade later if needed

2) Cooler: changed to Cryorig H7 better performance for a little bit more $$, IMO I prefer Aio water cooler for the asthetics "cleaner" to me but cost a little bit more, i would suggest Kracken x61 or H110iGTX

3) MOBO; Good onboard sound, with good features and for simple OC for beginners it has 5-way optimization feature

4) RAM: Dual channel memory is better with 2 sticks vs 1, New DDR4, mobo has 4 slots only used two for upgrade later if needed. 8GB would be minimum but for multitasking 16GB

5) GPU: it's what you like and the base clock for the price this has a really good base clock and looks good to me

6) Storage if you look at cost per GB these make sense, and 120GB SSD will fill up fast like 240GB better for just $20 more

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

So i was looking at the i7 6700k and noticed it has no stock cpu cooler?? would that be an issue?? thats the reason why im currently leaning towards the 4790k..

about psu, not too familiar with which ones are good quality...

ive read on other forums that this psu is one of the best http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-po...ly-220g20850xr

and to stay away from corsair cx series or evga nex series...

and ive heard that evga supernova series are top quality..

for the gpu, can anyone tell me performance wise between these 2 gpu's http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt9050510p http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx980tigaming6g

one of the comments on msi is that it seems to run hotter than the other versions.. mediocre fan on that card???

newegg is having a sale right now... not sure if i should start now or wait till blackfriday/cyber..

also any advice for first time builders, regarding do's and don'ts???

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/LiteEmUp/saved/Rcw2FT

so wat u guys think??? abit over the budget i originally have in mind, but this is the price to pay for joining the master GabeN race lol.. plus i didnt got any b-day presents this past summer, so gonna treat myself lol...

motherboard = i went with this one over the asus pro you guys recommended me coz i did find it cheaper, so i can squeeze a few more bucks to maybe something else i want... read the reviews on amazon and newegg, and so far looks good.. what u guys think??

ssd = i originally going with the 850evo, but someone recommended me this mushkin.. read the reviews on amazon/newegg and so far reading positives.. what you guys think??

psu = i orignally thought of going iwth the evga 850W gold, but went with the xfx since it is cheaper :p read the reviews and so far it seems positive reviews.. what you guys think of the psu???

any insights are greatly appreciated...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube