add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
RamenBoy
  • 55 months ago

So I had this Dell Inspiron that came with windows 8.1, I'm assuming it was OEM. I later got the free upgrade to windows 10, now I'm wondering, is it still tied to the mobo? I'm building a new computer and I don't want to have to pay for windows, I'm also re using the HD that came with the dell because I'm on a budget. My windows product ID is : 00326-10000-00000-AA142

I can't really tell whether this is OEM or if it is now considered retail and whether or not I will have trouble using this in a new system. I have the CD key for this also, incase that makes any difference. Just wondering if I will have trouble putting this in my new system or is there a different way I can go about this that will work.(Without buying a new windows ofcourse). I also put a bootable windows 10 onto a flash drive.

This is my first ever PC build so I've never booted windows or anything before.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

IT is OEM thus you cant use it you have no choice but to purchase a new copy.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

So I had this Dell Inspiron that came with windows 8.1, I'm assuming it was OEM. I later got the free upgrade to windows 10, now I'm wondering, is it still tied to the mobo?

If the Windows 8 version is an OEM, then the Windows 10 version will also be an OEM and the product key tied to the motherboard.

Usually for retail PCs from major companies like Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. will have their OSes be an OEM in order to keep the costs down. (That and these companies will safely assume that most users will be making an upgrade to the prebuilts.)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube