add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help downloading programs - Ubuntu

Eternalz
  • 55 months ago

Need help with download all of my programs i use on windows with ubuntu, is there a easy way to do this? play on linux and wine doesn't "always" work with every program..

i will get windows on my new build next month, just have to use ubuntu for now, cuz new PC.

Programs i want/use: - Camtasia - Sony Vegas Pro - Games. - Anti-virus like avast or something. any help and/or videos on how to do these would be great, as a 2015 version.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 5 points

Not quite sure what to say, but i have 1 thing to say....

LINUX DOSENT NEED AN ANTIVIRUS.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Of course it needs an antivirus.

How else am I to scan and clean up my Windows partition when it gets infected?

To the OP: I apologize, but I have no idea what you're trying to say. If you're talking about transferring programs from Linux to Windows... a Linux program straight up wouldn't run, and a Windows program installed via Wine... probably the easiest technique would be to copy the installer onto an external drive, and from there onto the Windows partition.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Talking about just installing programs on Ubuntu.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

ok for the windows part yes you do.....

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

For anti-virus, try ClamAV, it's in most repos and runs as a daemon, idling at less than 1% CPU usage. It works pretty well and is fully free (GPL).

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

For anti-virus, try ClamAV, it's in most repos and runs as a daemon, idling at less than 1% CPU usage. It works pretty well and is fully free (GPL).

ClamAV is for scaning files that you tell it to scan, it does not give any real-time protection except as a firewall.

In GNU+Linux anti malware precautions are built into the system, they are mainly 'proactive security' precautions as opposed to 'reactive security' precautions, which is as it should be.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

ClamAV is for scaning files that you tell it to scan, it does not give any real-time protection except as a firewall.

What does other anti-virus software do? I thought they just scan files and such to see if they're malicious. If you're intentionally running software that you don't know is malicious or not, you probably shouldn't use a computer. And if you don't have access to the source code, always assume it is malicious or will be malicious. Other than that, the only way I know of people getting a virus is through ads, and if you don't have an adblock by now, you shouldn't use a computer.

In GNU+Linux anti malware precautions are built into the system, they are mainly 'proactive security' precautions as opposed to 'reactive security' precautions, which is as it should be.

This. Superuser is likely the best anti-virus you need. If it calls for su and you don't know what it is, don't give it permissions.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

You won't since most windows programs don't work in Linux. So you will have to make do without.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Wine and play on linux is the best you're going to get if the program dosn't have a GNU+Linux version.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube