add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Maximux VI Hero vs. Z87 Sabertooth

trixter108
  • 81 months ago

So the Haswell CPUs have been out for a while and I've decided to build a new system around an i7-4770K to overclock the chip and see what I can get out of it. Lately, I've been having trouble deciding on whether to get the Z87 Sabertooth or the Maximus VI Formula. Keep in mind that I am going to be using this rig mostly for gaming and I plan on OCing the crap out of the CPU and probably GPU. Anyway, thanks in advance for your advice.

-trixter1081

Comments

• 81 months ago
  • 2 points

Both are outstanding boards. They will offer the same overclocking performance ( although the VRM components are little higher end on the Maximus board ).

You can check out the thread note below for more information on the OC. What it comes down to more if figuring out the feature set and functionality.

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/8668-wondering-about-overclocking-on-z87-motherboards-all-asus-z87-mbs-48ghz-ddr3-2400-4-dimm-stability-tested-results

With that noted the Hero offers

1. Higher end integrated sound
  2. Additional software suite including 1 Year license for Kaspersky AV, Daemon Tools Pro Standard and ROG Ram Disk utility
  3. Game First II - A packet priority application that can optimize your network connectionf or improve performance reducing the ping and latency. It can also be configured for downloading, streaming, VOIP and more.
  4. Higher end VRM components but very close to the SABERTOOTH - The inductors/chokes are rated for higher amperage power output

SABERTOOTH offers 1. 5 Year Warranty 2. More advanced thermal monitoring and control via Thermal Radar Thermal Armor with assist fans 3. Protection of ports and slots via Dust Defenders ( included covers for all ports and slots on the motherbaord ( including those on the back I/O )

Otherwise both have

1. Mature and feature rich UEFI
  2. USB Charger+ ( a quick way to charge a phone or mobile device or eReader.
  3. USB 3.0 Boost - An application to improve performance of flash based devices like flash drives or high speed external SSDs
  4. Fan Xpert II - Advanced per header control of every header on the board including 3 pin and 4 pin support ( can be controlled in the OS or the UEFI )
  5. USB Bios Flash Back - Integrated solution to update or recovery your UEFI chip ( no CPU, Memory or GPU required ). The system does not even have to power or post. It works on a hardware levell
  6. DirectKey support - Advanced way to reboot into the UEFI with a single button on the board or click of application in windows
  7. Intel NIC - offering superior throughput, CPU load balancing and extensive tuning control in the Intel proset utility.

You may also want to consider the Z87 Pro it is lower cost than both and offers all the same features ( minus the ROG specific items noted above ) but comes included with Dual Band Wifi and Bluetooth.

Hope this helps and best of luck with the build!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube