add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooling a 5820k

Conspiratom

50 months ago

I'm trying to lower my overall cost a bit because I just went over $3k. I will not be overclocking my 5820k and was going to go liquid but am changing my mind a bit any recommendations? $110 would have been the cost of the corsair cooler. Keep in mind it will be an all black build with a bit of silver/gray. Thanks guys

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

can you post a link to your build...

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

This is his, I'm guessing.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry about that. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gkXWkL

This has not been built yet.

Keep in mind parts are subject to change depending on deals between November and December

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

any reason you are going with that socket? Unless you are doing some heavy workload, i would consider skylake and if this is a gaming machine i would go with an i5. You should definitely consider changing the H100i which is outdated, loud and expensive because there is already a newer one. If you want to go the water cooler route a good choice is the kraken X61. Something else to consider is that an 850 watts PSU will be enough for 2 980ti. That case (750D) is probably not the best built case... The X99 supports quad-channel so you should buy ram in kits of 4. Corsair fans are good looking but thats just it. The quiet edition suck and the high performance are loud. Avoid hybrid drives. I made some changes. You can still get a much cheaper motherboard. I went with the noctua cooler which is compatible with that motherboard and will perfectly cool the overclock cpu.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $379.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $89.49 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $309.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $103.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $159.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $62.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card $649.99 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $126.66 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $39.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140mm Fan $11.90 @ Newegg
Monitor AOC I2757FH 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $199.99 @ Best Buy
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2700.52
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $2670.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-17 07:03 EST-0500
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I was actually originally going with that case and was still undecided about it. This is not a gaming machine primarily. It will be a streaming/gaming/rendering/work PC. I have a serious multi-tasking addiction and I may be watching hulu, working and gaming at the same time. I'll have to take a more in depth look at your choices when I'm not in the office.

Edit: and the noctua won't fit my color scheme which is black and silver or that would have been easy

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Edit: and the noctua won't fit my color scheme which is black and silver or that would have been easy

very easy to fix by changing the fan. You can use any 120mm fan or 140mm fan with 120mm mounting holes. Here are some options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352024&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

you can remove the brown plastic corners on noctua fan

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nff12industrialppc2000pwm

http://www.amazon.com/Phanteks-Upgrade-High-Static-Pressire-PH-F140HP_BK2/dp/B00X5FZQBU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

another option for a cooler is the bequiet

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk018

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Right on, thanks man

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

There are indeed a lot of other places to cut down on the cost. Typically, people get the i7-5820K for heavy-duty streaming, video editing, mass photo editing, CAD, 3D rendering, or other CPU-intensive, well-threaded tasks.

If you are only gaming, an i5-6600K will often be better than the i7-5820K due to better single-threaded performance, and that lets you save hundreds of dollars on CPU and mobo.

Also, while the WD Black series drives are great for HDDs... I'd just save the money, get a budget HDD, and use the savings for a bigger SSD. The gulf between SSD and HDD performance is vast, and even cheap SSDs blow the WD Black series out of the water.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

This isn't primarily a gaming PC. Good input on the HD situation, thanks

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Mkay. I hope you understand why we typically assume gaming in the absence of other information. Otherwise, pegotico's covered most of the relevant topics.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep sure do buddy

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I like the Cryorig h7.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube