add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please help me choose a PSU!! skylake build

Sammyt555
  • 53 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MWCKwP

This is my build currently, i plan on OC for gaming, and i may someday add another GPU for crossfire but thats likely pretty far down the road and when that time comes i might just upgrade the gpu entirely.

If i add another GPU to this build. the wattage jumps from 487 up to a whopping 762!

Would it be a bad idea to get a PSU with enough wattage overhead to allow for crossfire later on? I have read some people say that if i had an 800W PSU for the time that i wasnt x-firing, it would be horribly inefficient.

Considering the r9 390 has 8g of vram and it performs so well right now, and reportedly better and better at higher resolutions vs competing cards (and higher resolutions will liekly be the reason for needing to upgrade in the future with 4k becoming more affordable and 5k monitors already happening), does it seem silly to you guys to get such a higher wattage PSU just to allow for this future upgrade? which i might not even do? man writing this out is kinda convincing me not to do it haha.

If you dont recommend the wattage overhead for additional GPU, would a 650W be ok for OCing this build?

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

If i add another GPU to this build. the wattage jumps from 487 up to a whopping 762!

The 390 does like it's power. RealHardTechX recommends a 1000w minimum.

Would it be a bad idea to get a PSU with enough wattage overhead to allow for crossfire later on? I have read some people say that if i had an 800W PSU for the time that i wasnt x-firing, it would be horribly inefficient.

Not really. I hate using the phrase "future proofing", but getting a higher wattage power supply then you might actually need may come in handy later. Horribly inefficient sounds like exaggeration to me.

If you dont recommend the wattage overhead for additional GPU, would a 650W be ok for OCing this build?

A high quality 650w(like the RMx you choose) is perfect for this build.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

?? 980tis are going for 600+, more than twice what the r9 390 costs.

if you dont like the r9 390 for this build, could you recommend a card within that ballpark price?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

unless youre saying if i plan to eventually have 2 390s, just get a 980ti which i am now realizing. ha.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube