add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVGA 500W PSU...Ok PSU?

HTTPRO
  • 53 months ago

Saw this on Johnny Guru and seen a pretty decent review on it. People tend to suggest the other ones which is 500b/600b versions but this review tells another. Looking to build an energy efficient i5 with an R9 280x or a 960 in a build.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=384

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Get a better one... thats not a good PSU.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I know there are better ones out there, like XFX/Seasonic and others more but I think since I only have one power hungry component I wouldn't need a premium one.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

It is not solely a function of how power-hungry your components are.

You also need to look at DC output quality: how well is voltage regulated across a range of loads, and how much ripple are your parts going to see? Ripple in particular can hurt the lifespan of your other components.

The steadier and cleaner the DC power is coming out of your PSU, the longer your computer will live, and at this level, you want to be investing in a good PSU, not just a barely-acceptable budget PSU like the 500W EVGA unit.

There's other things which go into power supplies as well, but I tend to emphasize clean DC output.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

None of the above are PSUs I would use to power an i5 with a $200-ish graphics card. The 500W is barely acceptable, and the B1 units are mediocre.

I'd be looking at something by XFX, Seasonic, Antec, EVGA (GS, B2, G2, GQ), and possibly a few other good units. The PSU is one of the most important parts of your build; it's the part most likely to fry everything else, the part which most determines how long the other parts last, etc. Don't skimp out on the PSU; it's a worthwhile investment, particularly when you're spending as much money as you are on the other components.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have any proof that this particular one will fry anything at all? I mean there are lots of evidence on internet about the CX series and I just gave an example why I considered this one. I could skimp on the PSU and still a good results, getting an Antec EA/BP series is almost the same cost at a lower wattage but with the reliability. I just dont understand why people keep telling people to get an expensive PSU especially if you live somewhere other than US.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are paying that much for the PC to being with, you need to be buying a proper PSU, that is just how it works.

[comment deleted]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Just because you are going something, doesn't make it a good idea. I recently daily drove my car with the oil cooler completely bypassed while I waited for a new one to arrive. Is this something I would recommend someone do? Absolutely not, but I still did it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube