add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

R5 Define to use H100i GTX or Hyper 212 EVO

Timplar

49 months ago

I've never built a pc before. I fell in love with the R5 Define when I saw it. I can't figure out whether or not I should water cool my cpu or not though. I'm going to be putting in a Gigabyte 980 ti in it and will probably get a second one in the future when it becomes necessary. My idea for using the H100i GTX was to stick it in the front as an intake to give the cpu the best possible cooling, then sticking the front fan that comes with the case on the bottom and getting a third case fan to stick in the slot on the side panel to make sure the GPUs don't get too hot from the exhaust coming from the radiator. I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it to do all that or to just have two front intake fans and use an air cooler for my CPU.

TL;DR will the exhaust from my CPU cooler blowing straight into my (eventually) two Gigabyte 980 ti's make things too hot for them or will it be fine?

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

if I had to guess you're probably like 90% of people with an intel mainstream platform (Z97/Z170) right? the heat from any and all cpus that can fit those sockets will have little to no effect on gpu temps. the rad in front is good in the R5 so you don't have to remove the top covers. best thing would be an air cooler, but i can think of several coolers that are better suited than the two most popular coolers on earth you're deliberating between. :-)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

As an owner of an R5 I can say this fella is wrong. If you put the CPU radiator up front you'll notice CPU temps go slightly down and GPU temps go slightly up. Putting the radiator on top means Temps go the other way.

You have a static amount of energy going in so a static amount of heat will be produced.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

is there like a test for this online so i can see the exact numbers?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

the numbers are slight like he said. like I said little to nothing. I've done several builds like that with the R5 and Z97 i5/i7's. it's the best way to put a radiator in the case aside from the bottom as the top serves to keep it quiet and again, no dust filter.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

No. It's going to vary for a TON of reasons. Types of fans, ambient temp, hardware, even thermal paste/hardware variation would weigh in.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i got a Z97 because i saw carey holzman make an intense gaming computer with it lmoa

also i'm using a $1400 best buy gift card to pay for most of it and best buy only sells 1150 cpus and ONE 2011 3 cpu that's $70 more that the 4790K so i gotta go with a 1150 motherboard anyway

what else would you suggest? it has to be 240mm because i'm putting my hard drive space in my optical drive space

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

if you aren't using hard drive bays, can you mount the rad as a bottom intake? does your psu allow space for that?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I think so. I could try doing that. I was afraid the radiator might block the wires though

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

either way the front and bottom leave the most likeable results. the top leaves the case not so silent and not dustproof. front mounted rad will cause slight rise in temps, but not even mostly the gpu will be affected. the motherboard and chipset temps will go up more than the gpu as those are passively cooled, but still not some huge jump like 10c.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

cool beans. I'll try to put my h100i gtx in the bottom then

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube