add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

small mini itx computer for basic photoshop

czbeezy
  • 55 months ago

My girlfriends computer is dying (which is good because that thing friggin sucked...) and I wanna help build a new one for her without overspending. She does basic photoshop, video editing, and a whole lot of web browsing...like keeping 30 tabs open on her chrome at all times...

Im trying to spend like under 500$ because she for the most part does very basic computing and doesn't game. However if she got into really heavy photoshopping I would like to give her a processor that will do the job well. Also a slim package as she has a lot of clutter and this last computer for the most part died because she literally kept it on the carpet air side down...

Here's my current idea, but Im open to any changes. I would like to generally keep it in the same case and mobo size but feel free to edit.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $172.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $103.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $50.99 @ Amazon
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $45.94 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 650 2GB Video Card $66.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case $74.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $705.77
Mail-in rebates -$90.00
Total $615.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-19 03:33 EST-0500

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The cost is a bit different because I have rebates turned off by default, but it ends up cheaper once including the rebate on the PSU and GPU.

The major changes were the ram, SSD, and case.

For ram, anything over 1866MHz is largely a waste of money, so I went with a great 1866 set that costs less.

The SSD you chose has had spotty performance as a result of a bait-and-switch, so I switched to a more reliable drive.

For the case, I went with the Thermaltake as a personal preference. It's a great, small little case that looks nice if you're into the aesthetic

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $172.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus H97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $101.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $44.99 @ Amazon
Storage Patriot Blaze 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $41.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 650 2GB Video Card $96.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case $39.60 @ Directron
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $568.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-19 03:32 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Im a little iffy on that case but everything else I see, I like.

The ram sounds like a good choice. That MOBO is perfect. Ill take your work on that SSD.

My only question now is a CPU, GPU, and cooler. We can probably go cheaper on that GPU.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, Im sold on that case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube