add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading with a $500-$800 budget!

Zamegastudd
  • 55 months ago

Hello all! A friend of mine is giving me an older dell refurbished pc of his, here is a link to it ( http://www.pcliquidations.com/p22084-dell-xps-630i-tower?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=22084&r160164167166161&gclid=CJfSs-iNn8kCFQpBfgodtOMOCQ ). I would like to upgrade the mobo, graphics, and processor in it. I will attach my parts list, although I could not figure out what some of the parts were in the build. I know the psu is 750w, and the memory is 4x4 g.skill, but I do not know the mobo or the name of the case. You can see them in the link above however. I will link some other parts it has in my build list below. as far as what I would like to be able to do with it once upgraded, I want to be able to play games on max settings. I would also like it to handle dual monitors, and run a 2560x1440 display. Here is my parts list as far as I could determine- PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tpqnzy

I forgot to mention that I will need to buy Windows 10. Keep that in the budget as well. Also he may be giving me a gtx 780ti graphics card as well. Thank you very much for the help!!

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus H170M-E D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $299.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $90.18 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $700.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-20 09:50 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 2 points

DDR3 with skylake... Ugh.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestions!!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Were you able to tell if everything would be compatible with the case?

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

With proprietary cases its hard to tell.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Would it be a good idea to get 32gb of ram or is the 16 plenty?

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

I can't even think of anything that can use 32 GB.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay perfect!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

If I do get the gtx 780ti, is that card better or worse than the one suggested by Amazian?

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

If you are going to be using both monitors for gaming, the 390 would be a better choice since it has 8GB of VRAM.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay good too know, thank you!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I have seen some negative reviews when it comes to upgrading the mobo in this case. What If I decided to only use 1 monitor, and just use the 780ti, but also buy a new Psu and case, any suggestions there?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube