add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cryorig Coolers

treeestand

51 months ago

I'm on the fence about the cryorig coolers. I know I want to stick with cryorig because I like what they're doing compared to other coolers but unsure which to pick. I'm going to be running an OC'ed i7 4790k probably 4.4gHz or 4.5gHz. Would it be worth it in the long run to get an r1 or should I stick with an h5 or h7?

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

CRYORIG rates most of it's cooler's TDP (Thermal Design Power) on their stat sheets closer to the bottom of each product's page. e.g. (http://www.cryorig.com/r1-ultimate.php) The i7-4790K is listed as having a TDP of 88 Watts, the TDP of the H7 is 140 Watts, the H5-U is 160 Watts, the H5-Ultimate is 180 Watts, and the R1-Ultimate is (massive) 250+ Watts. I would say that the less expensive cooler would be the way to go (if money is tight) but otherwise I'd go with the R1-Ultimate cause it's pretty freaking boss. It's really a matter of how safe you want to play it, you do not want to exceed the TDP of a heat sink because that's bad and the higher the TDP of the CPU cooler the less likely that is going to happen. Also if you are going to upgrade to a higher wattage CPU in the future, you would probably want to go with the R1-Ultimate. Once again, it really depends on your preference because all of the coolers are rated to dissipate much more than those 88 watts.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

That all depends on your chip. The silicon lottery is not always kind. You might get a chip which easily hits 4.5ghz with little voltage and a cheaper cooler, or you might get unlucky with a chip that needs lots of voltage to even get close to 4.5ghz and therefore requires much better cooling.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

for starters the 4790k's are binned 4770k's, all will run at 4.4ghz out of the box, so no need to OC on your part for the speeds you're talking about. secondly, the H5 ultimate is probably the sweet spot as far as cryorig's coolers and price/performance should be close to the H7's, just with better performance.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube