add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooler Master 750VMS in a R4 Define case?

Optimus
  • 53 months ago

Hi,

Thinking of getting this PSU for my case, but it's a tiny PSU. My worry is that the air intake fan on the PSU will be slightly blocked by the case at the bottom. I cannot get any definitive measurements from the PSU case to the start of the fan.

Does anyone have this combo and can let me know?

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

If your budget is that high for a power supply, you should be getting higher quality. While the VSM is still a great power supply, there are better options out there.

The EVGA G2 750 is a good option. The EVGA P2 is currently on sale and has an unbelievable price.

What does the rest of your build look like?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

the only thing to consider is if he needs something 140mm long to allow for pace for a bottom rad or the hard drive cage moved all the way over. otherwise you're right. could look for a normal size psu.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm in the UK and there is s decent deal on the Cooler Master just now. The Evga looks the better model for sure, but didn't think the CM would be a massive step down.

I'm not needing the space for a bottom rad, just making sure there'd be no overheating issues if part of the fan was blocked.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £203.99 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler £24.99
Thermal Compound Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste £3.95 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £114.47 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £72.98 @ Dabs
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £58.20 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £39.09 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card £264.97 @ Aria PC
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For £63.99
Power Supply Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £59.99
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer £9.00 @ CCL Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £915.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-21 09:49 GMT+0000

I might change the H7 to a Scythe Kotetsu or Hyper 212, as I can't get the H7 in the UK right now..

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

you'll be fine. looks like they're clearing out the VSM because the full modular version launched.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

from the psu housing to the fan grill looks roughly 15 mm. the R5's psu vent begins ~30 mm into the case. this will be fine, really it's a better fit than alot of other cases. at worse you're looking at a small part of the fan vent covered. there are plenty of size mismatches between psu and cases that are far greater. as I recall from my time using the H440, the psu vents begin about 25mm into the case and it wasn't even a full open vent, it has ~8mm wide slits spaced ~8mm apart from each other. the psu intake wasn't bothered by it. the R5's psu vent is more open.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube