add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Desktop for Photoshop, $800 budget

CentershotRecurve
  • 55 months ago

Hello!

I have never built a computer before, and I'm nervous that it's going turn out as some Frankenstein-monster... except not work.

I am basically asking: "build it or buy it?"

I'm not computer savvy, so I will NOT be putting this together myself, I will be calling the family-owned computer shops around here and asking what they charge to assemble. (People do that, right?) :)

This is for a computer only - I do not have any peripherals, but they are not included in this budget. (Any advice on peripherals is always appreciated)

Details -Budget: $800 (or less - I'm saving up for a monitor tablet as well!) -Use: Photoshop CC/internet surfing -No size/brand/style preference -Windows OS included in budget

Here's the System Requirements from Adobe: -Intel® Core 2 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2 GHz or faster processor -Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 -2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended) -2 GB of available hard-disk space for 32-bit installation; 2.1 GB of available hard-disk space for 64-bit installation -1024 x 768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB of VRAM (1 GB recommended)* -OpenGL 2.0–capable system

I am concerned that a build will require frequent at-home tune-ups and tinkering beyond my abilities... how high-maintenance are custom builds once they're up and running?

Thank you!

EDIT: Sorry everything's all jumbled together! It squished together after I published it.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you interested in the capability of overclocking? It's not necessary for a system like this, but I know some people like having the ability. Also, should OS be factored into the cost?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

This would be a great place to start, and it's right at budget (though I did put in some pretty nice features since it's at budget!)

The processor is equivalent to a stock-speed i7 4770k, and the GPU offers 1024 CUDA cores for parallel processing, while also being able to support the features of Photoshop 2015. In all, it makes for a system that is capable of handling most things Photoshop is capable of without spending a huge amount too much on either component. The rest of the build is pretty standard. 8gb reliable, low latency ram, an SSD boot drive, and a fully-modular and reliable PSU to keep the build easy to handle.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $242.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $14.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $67.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $31.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card $169.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $63.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.36 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Kingwin CF-012LBR 40.0 CFM 120mm Fan $3.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Kingwin CF-012LBR 40.0 CFM 120mm Fan $3.98 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $799.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-20 21:36 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much!! Wow. I'm going to look at it more closely now. Thank you! (since I'm not gaming, could I work with a less expensive/fancy video card? Is it fancy? I don't know. Looking things up now) :)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The video card doesn't need to be this expensive, no, but I chose the 960 because it allows for full usage of all the features at a nice speed. Plus since it's only $60 more than the first choice I had (the 750ti), I don't think changing it would be all that worthwhile.

Here's the more money-saving version with OS included in the cost:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $242.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler SilenX EFZ-80HA3 36.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $12.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $67.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $31.99 @ Newegg
Storage Silicon Power S60 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $41.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card $169.99 @ Amazon
Case Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case $28.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Antec Green 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $47.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $90.18 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $779.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-20 22:20 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! Wow, I don't know how you can go through all the parts like that and not take... a week! Totally a foreign language to me. I'm going to go through and familiarize myself with these parts, and start looking for a builder :)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

When you keep researching everything starts to become more and more obvious and knowing what to pick just comes naturally.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I... don't know what overclocking is! lol

I'd love to factor in OS (I'll add that to the original post) I'd be willing to buy a computer from the store for no more than $800, and that would include the OS. I'm trying to compare an $800-range - can a better computer be built for that much, or should I just buy it?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Frankly, there's no way that you could get a prebuilt to match performance that this system is capable of. Getting a computer with an i5 and 750ti, which is a scaled-back version of this build, is tough to do at $800.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know. Do builds often need a lot of troubleshooting? (either at first or throughout their life?)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have no idea what you're doing or how to take care of your system then possibly.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube