add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moving OS to new system situation

treeestand
  • 55 months ago

WARNING: This is going to be long.

To start, this is my first build and all the parts are either here, or on the way. I am upgrading from a 2012 Alienware x51 (rocking a NVIDIA GT 545). Currently installed on the Alienware is my free upgrade version of Windows 10 Home. Originally the unit shipped with Windows 7. Unaware to Dell/Alienware's customization on their computers I took it apart. So now I have a completely disassembled Alienware and half of the parts for my new PC. Now comes the problem, after all of this I realized that I never got myself a boot drive for the new system. After attempting multiple times to reassemble I cannot get it to restart (Alienware's stupid 3 part mobos). What are my options in terms of getting that OS onto my new system? I'm assuming that because the HDD with the OS will not be accepted since it's a Dell OEM drive. Now I do have the product key for the Windows 7 install as it was on a sticker in the case. Is there anyway I can get the boot drive from the Windows key on a different system? I am fresh out of ideas and I was wondering if anybody has had a similar situation or any experience in this field.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube