add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming, game development, and 3D vision

Bearzor
  • 55 months ago

Hello,

My budget is $1500. I can be a bit flexible on that if need be.

I am located in Seattle, Wa.

I want to use my computer primarily in a living room as a home theater for 3D blu ray and 3D gaming. When not using it for home theater, I'd like to be able to use it on a monitor at my desk (in same room) for working in 3D and video editing software. I'd also like to be able to stream this computer's desktop to my laptop so that I can work on it anywhere in the house.

More specifically, I'd like to use this computer for:

-running the Dolphin emulator in stereoscopic 3D at 1080p with 60 fps

-playing current Steam games at high graphics settings, in 3D when supported, & 60 fps

-editing HD video in After Effects

-working in and rendering with 3D packages like Maya and Blender

-working in game engines like Unity 3D and Unreal 4

-watching 3D blu rays (already have an LG blu ray drive so I don't need to buy that)

-in home streaming of games and desktop to other computers and tablets

-bluetooth

Peripherals I plan to use are:

-Optoma HD141X 1080p 3D DLP Home Theater Projector (which I think will require HDMI input)

-3D glasses that will work (I'm not sure what to buy, tips are welcome!)

-Bluetooth devices

-USB mouse/keyboard, game controllers, hard drives, etc

I have a separate budget for peripherals, so these do not need to be factored in to the $1500. I would very much appreciate opinions and recommendations regarding my peripherals though.

Operating System will be Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and I already own this.

Thank you for your time. I'm excited about this! :)

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $259.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $129.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $81.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $88.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $51.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card $659.99 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $103.86 @ Mac Mall
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1466.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-22 05:04 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you iglitch2win! This looks pretty great, and I'll probably go with this. I'm guessing it would give me more power than is currently necessary, but it would also last longer without needing upgrade.

From what I understand, a Ti in a graphics card means the core is unlocked. You also included liquid cooling. Does that imply that you would overclock the cpu and gpu on this build?

I have noticed that most people recommend getting an SSD. Did you not include one because you don't think it will be necessary for my use, or because budget did not allow it?

Is there any possibility of me fitting this into a mid-tower and still being able to add my blu ray drive?

If no on the mid-tower, I already own a Digital Storm Cooler Master HAF pretty much exactly like the one here: http://hothardware.com/reviews/digital-storms-core-i5-system-reviewed?page=2

Would you recommend I re-use it instead of buying a new case?

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

The TI in a graphics card doesn't mean that it's unlocked. It's Nvidias way of saying that it's a better version of the older graphics card which is the gtx 980. AMD uses "X" to indicate this in their graphics card.

Yeah at your budget it would be weird not to have liquid cooling. The cooler master neptom is one of the best out there.

Yeah most people recommend getting an ssd when you have a 1500 budget but I thought it would be better to sacrifice better boot times and loading times with better overall performance. Now that you have your own case you can buy Samsung 850 evo series.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube