add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Recommended PSU for overclocking build

Cheesecake_
  • 53 months ago

Any suggestions for a PSU to overclock this build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £169.48 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £24.95 @ Novatech
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £114.12 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory £61.10 @ More Computers
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £59.58 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £93.66 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card £579.92 @ More Computers
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case £104.99 @ Novatech
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) £72.30 @ CCL Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1280.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-22 07:26 GMT+0000

Thanks for your help

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 4 points

EVGA G2 750 is good here. You could easily run this off of 650w but the 750 has a 10yr warranty.

Alternatives would be the Corsair RMx/RMi, and EVGA P2.

• 53 months ago
  • 3 points

The 650W EVGA G2 is a very easy recommendation if you don't plan to SLI.

Oh, and hey, the 850W EVGA G2 is looking good for a 2-card SLI, so long as the overclocking isn't too ludicrously aggressive on CPU and both GPUs.

And if you wanted to be absolutely sure of the headroom with a 2-card SLI, it's almost looking as though the 1000W EVGA G2 is also a good deal in the UK right now.

Yes, I checked, at each wattage range (650W, 850W, 1000W). Occasionally some cheaper XFX units, but those units were nonmodular, usually less efficient, and I'm reasonably certain not as excellent as the G2. At each of those wattage ranges, right now the G2 is the clear choice in the UK.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I've seen the EVGA GS 1050 get pretty cheap before. Just slightly worse than the G2.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your help! I think I will get the 750W for the warranty and then get a larger one when I get a second card.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Well if you want to asd a second 980ti go witht the 850 G2.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Would that be enough? Especially as I would be overclocking both cpu and gpu.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, it will be enough. only need more if you flash the gpu BIOS and overvolt or if you had a cpu on socket 2011 or AM3+ that will easily use twice the power of the 4690k.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube