add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Case questions with a focuse on SS ML08

pshopper

49 months ago

Hi, I'm looking at the SilverStone ML08 with a mini-itx/ i3-4170/GeForce GTX 950 rig. I have ATX tower experience but I'm not as familiar with small cases and components. Here are some questions, some of them nooby.

1. I've read a few reviews and been to SS site. I'm not really seeing much difference between RVZ01 and Ml08. Is it mostly just the handle?

2. ML08 supports SFX & SFX-L. What's better? I've read criticism that these PSUs are less reliable than full ATX PSUs. Should I be concerned? Do SFX and SFX-L come in modular versions?

3. I'd like to get a bluray DVD drive. I'd prefer an internal slim optical drive but are they reliable and does it matter if I run it vertically or horizontally? Would an external bluray DVD drive be more reliable? SS prints this warning

"*Expansion card holder needs to be removed when installing expansion/graphics card wider than 4.78 inches. When system is assembled without the holder, vertical orientation of the case is recommended and transporting/shipping should be avoided. For more details, please refer to manual."

So if I stick with a Graphic card under 4.78 then is it fair to say that I can move it around at will and do horizontal or vertical at will?

1. Once everything is build, can set the case down vertically OR horizontally? Can I use it either way? In other words, do certain kinds of builds mean I need to setup the case vertically instead of horizontally or does it not matter?

2. For cases that offer and window or not, I'd prefer not. Does "window" give any extra cooling or operational benefit or is it just cosmetic?

3. I wouldn't mind having an extra internal USB slot. However, there are only two expansion slots which I supposed would be for the graphics card. Is there another option? Anyone know of a nice USB hub or extension that isn't too bulky? This build will be moved around from time to time and I'd to transport as few parts as possible.

4. As someone who's only build ATX towers, is there any other general advise you can give me with regards to dealing with smaller cases like this? Any pitfalls I should watch out for?

5. I'm not 100% sold on this case but I do like it. I'm open to other case suggestions or comparisons.

Thanks!

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I've read a few reviews and been to SS site. I'm not really seeing much difference between RVZ01 and Ml08. Is it mostly just the handle?

there are a lot of differences as the ML08 is the same as the RVZ02 with a different design so one of the things is that its smaller

ML08 supports SFX & SFX-L. What's better? I've read criticism that these PSUs are less reliable than full ATX PSUs. Should I be concerned? Do SFX and SFX-L come in modular versions?

the SFX-L has a larger fan so it will be quieter, but the SFX 450 watts silverstone gold is the better one of all silverstone SFX and your build would be more than fine with a 400 watts PSU. All their gold SFX units are fully modular. The only downside of the 450 watts is that it doesn't come with the flat black cables which i had to buy separately .

I wouldn't mind having an extra internal USB slot.

why do you need more?

I'd like to get a bluray DVD drive. I'd prefer an internal slim optical drive but are they reliable and does it matter if I run it vertically or horizontally? Would an external bluray DVD drive be more reliable? SS prints this warning

the slim bluray drive by silverstone is a good one but its also expensive.

Once everything is build, can set the case down vertically OR horizontally? Can I use it either way? In other words, do certain kinds of builds mean I need to setup the case vertically instead of horizontally or does it not matter?

you can use it anyway you want..

For cases that offer and window or not, I'd prefer not. Does "window" give any extra cooling or operational benefit or is it just cosmetic?

cosmetic

As someone who's only build ATX towers, is there any other general advise you can give me with regards to dealing with smaller cases like this? Any pitfalls I should watch out for?

generally it is more difficult to organize all cables as space is limited, just route cables before as you are building (not after)..

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

Sliverstone lists both the RVZ02 and ML08 as having the exact same dimensions (380/87/370). The reviews I've seen on the ML08 describe it as the RVZ02 but better.

It doesn't look like any cases offer more than 2 USB. My intention with this case is to move it from room to room plugging in to TVs or monitors as needed (HDMI). I plan to have a wireless keyboard and an option for a mouse or even possibly a gamepad. Also I'll have to use a USB port for a wifi adapter. Wifi plus one wireless peripheral would fill it up pretty fast. It's also nice to have a free USB for charging or doing a flash drive transfer. I know I can get an extension or USB hub, but that's just one more thing that will be dangling off the PC when I move it. Anyway, I don't know if I'd have room for another slot for USB ports or if it would be worth it, but at least you understand my reasoning.

For the PSU I'll shoot for the SPX-L because I don't want it too loud. It's good to know I don't NEED a ATX PSU. Comments in other forum posts have suggested otherwise sighting stability. I'm not interested in overclocking or leaving room to upgrade later. I'm not sure 400watts is enough but I'll know more once I decide on a final build.

As for the silverstone slim DVD, I'm not afraid to pay more for quality, but my question was are internal drives reliable compared to external ones. I haven't had much experience with either. I guess they can perform just as well vertically as horizontally.

Thanks for your feedback.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

yes i know that both RVZ02 and ML08 are the same but with different designs. You said otherwise in your comment, quoting you now

I've read a few reviews and been to SS site. I'm not really seeing much difference between RVZ01 and Ml08. Is it mostly just the handle?

I plan to have a wireless keyboard and an option for a mouse or even possibly a gamepad.

you can use logitech keyboard and mouse and use their software. Just get ones compatible

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotions/6072

It's good to know I don't NEED a ATX PSU.

this silverstone cases are only compatible with SFX psu. They do have a larger 600 watts version if you are planning on getting a GPU that requires more watts.

this would give you an idea base on your GPU

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

As for the silverstone slim DVD, I'm not afraid to pay more for quality, but my question was are internal drives reliable compared to external ones.

i honestly prefer the normal ODD. Ive always believe that slim drives are more delicate. But I'm using a slim one right now and its been fine, its even mounted vertically.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-12-7mm-Interface-Blu-Ray-SOB02/dp/B00BY3LCLI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448232860&sr=1-1&keywords=silverstone+blu+ray+drive

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Internal-Blu-Ray-Unibody-MacBook/dp/B00BFU652G/ref=zg_bs_668573011_6

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

"yes i know that both RVZ02 and ML08 are the same but with different designs. You said otherwise in your comment, quoting you now.."

I'm not trying to be snarky with you. I'm actually truly confused. The stats are virtually the same. I guess you said it best when you said it was a different design, but the design differences were what I wanted to know more about. I guess I'll just need to look at the images at different perspectives and try to gain a better understanding about what will best fit where.

I'm confused because you originally said there were a lot of differences but perhaps you meant there were NOT a lot of differences? Also, I believe you said the ML08 was smaller. However, the Silvestone website suggests they are the same dimensions while other websites suggest the ML08 is bigger.

They are the same: http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RVZ02&area=en&top=C

ML08 is bigger http://www.aybonline.com/2015/09/29/silverstone-releases-ml08-and-raven-z-rvz02-chassis/

Anyway, it's kind of ridiculous to have so much conflicting information on such a basic question. That said, I appreciate the links and information you've given me. Please don't mistake my confusion for criticism.

I tend to agree with you about normal ODDs, but a full size DVD doesn't seem to be an option in the sizes of cases I'm looking at. I think I'll take a chance on a slim internal DVD and if it breaks I'll just get external drive. I don't really have the extra USB to support it, but DVD viewing will likely only be a small part of what I'm using the build for anyway. Thanks for your feedback on this matter.

Anyway, thank you sincerely for the help and advice. I think some of my questions might be putting the cart before the horse. To be honest, the handle on the ML08 is a big selling point for me that I hadn't even thought about when I first sat down to think about the best case.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

yep the ML07 = RVZ01 and the ML08=RVZ02. As i said before the only differences is that the ML series is an HTPC case and the RVZ is a raven design case so the outside design is going to be different, but the inside is the same.

The stats are virtually the same.

Yes both ML08 and RVZ02 are 12 liters.. Now if you compare with its larger brothers (ML07 or RVZ01) then you will have differences. The RVZ01 can fit larger coolers and more drives and is also 3 liters larger if i remember correctly.

To be honest, the handle on the ML08 is a big selling point for me that I hadn't even thought about when I first sat down to think about the best case.

i agree with you, and its also a nicer design IMO. I think the design on the RVZ02 looks kind of cheapy...

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Pegotico. I appreciate your advice and your patience!

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I was interested on the RVZ02 until I saw the ML08. I like the RVZ02 look better, but a handle can really make a difference. Is the material/built quality of these cases any different? Can the handle of the ML08 be attached to the RVZ02 and still feel sturdy enough?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube