add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Purple-themed build for first timer

controlyourcuttlefish
  • 55 months ago

Hi everyone, It will be my first time building a PC (used for light gaming and school work). A friend of mine is passing on a NZXT H440 midtower case, so that's my starting point. I'd like to have a purple/white themed build. From what I've looked at, this will mean a black/white motherboard, etc, and then purple fans and LED strips. So far, I'm thinking an i5 CPU will be more than enough for me, as I don't plan to overclock. I'd like a 250SSD and 1TB HDD. I really don't need anything fancy for a GPU, I'm not a super serious gamer and probably never will be. So basically, I sort of know what I want, but I don't know what brands are reliable/affordable/nice. I have a budget of about $800, not including the case or peripherals. I'll be dealing with keyboard and monitor later (I have a mouse) but if you'd like to give recommendations for those now, too, I'd appreciate it. I haven't even started to look at those, so I don't really have a price point. Also I'm on the east coast of the US if that is important. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks like something like this will be the go-to. The 380 is plenty for gaming unless you expect top frames on ultra settings for AAA titles. The 380 is more than enough power for any gamer that isn't intensely serious about what they're doing. (And for others who might note it, the 4gb XFX is currently their least expensive model, so that's why I went with this variant)

I tried to go with as much black/white as I could. If you'd rather not have the green pcb color of the SSD, you can swap it out for the 2.5" form factor, it's the same price.

The two included fans are for filling the front slots. The fans that come with the case are either white or have no LED (I can't remember which), but they will be great to have as well. These two can fill either the front or top slots

EDIT: I just realized you said you weren't planning to overclock, so I can make the list less expensive if you'd like

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $100.99 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $38.49 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $77.99 @ B&H
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $189.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Purple 66.4 CFM 140mm Fan $13.75 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Purple 66.4 CFM 140mm Fan $13.75 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $804.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 02:25 EST-0500
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I like what parts you picked out but just wondering is there any different between WD Blue and Seagate Barrcuda?

Also, just another quick question.. Can you still use that GPU if you do adobe stuff?

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

The main difference is price. Otherwise, they are essentially identical in specs. Some people have a preference for WD over Seagate, just like some people have preferences in brands of RAM.

As for the GPU, I'd think you could, but a 960 might be a safer choice. In gaming, the 960 and 380 are neck and neck, only ever beating one another by a frame or two. NVidia gaming cards tend to (or at least seem to) work a bit better with Adobe or more workstation-type applications, so I think the 960 would be a solid choice as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube