add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU for this build?

pshopper
  • 52 months ago

Hi, I'm starting a new build and I'd like to use the SilverStone ML08 case. http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=607

Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pshopper/saved/#view=LVjV3C

Other considerations 1) I will not overclock. 2) I do not plan to upgrade the build. 3) I'd like a quiet PC. Not silent, just not loud. I'll be using this build for streaming and watching movies so I don't want to be distracted by excessive fan noise. 4) Build is designed for gaming and (eventually) 4k streaming. This build is designed to be easily moved around the house as needed plugging into different TVs or Monitors. 5) I have good experience building ATX towers, but this is my first small case with smaller components.

I understand that this case only supports SFX & SFX-L power supplies, but I've read in other forums that I should only use a true ATX PSU with this build mostly because the SFX PSUs don't generate enough power. Given my core components, can I get by with an SFX PSU? If not, then I guess I need to change my case.

Assuming I can use this case, please recommend a PSU. It's my understanding that the SFX-L is quieter so I'm leaning towards that.

Are SFX PSUs generally just as reliable as ATX PSUs?

I know there are a few other minor incompatibles I'm still working out. Advice on those is welcomed, but my main concern is the PSU.

Thanks!

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand that this case only supports SFX & SFX-L power supplies, but I've read in other forums that I should only use a true ATX PSU with this build mostly because the SFX PSUs don't generate enough power. Given my core components, can I get by with an SFX PSU? If not, then I guess I need to change my case.

you've read on forums that you should only use a psu that doesn't fit in your case? and that sfx psus "don't generate enough power" for this ~180 - 200 watt build that you "do not plan to upgrade"? you should read some different forums from now on :-). I made some changes to the part list. it has everything you need and despite these flags still being there it's all compatible and will fit in the case together. you can see that the 3.5" HDD fits with gpus 7 3/4" or shorter in this video review of the RVZ02 that has an identical chassis. the psu is overkill, but the 450 watt sfx is the same price or more and the 450/350 bronze are known to be a little noisy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $104.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus H97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $101.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $31.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $83.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card $149.99 @ Micro Center
Case Silverstone ML08B-H HTPC Case $84.50 @ Amazon
Power Supply Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply $84.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive LG CU20N Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $64.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) $89.88 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Logitech K830 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Touchpad $72.76 @ Amazon
Other Slimline Sata To Sata Adapter with Power $4.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $989.77
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $954.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 09:37 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

PureBlackFire, Thanks for the advice and recommendation. I'm new to SFX PSUs. In past when I've build ATX towers, I've always gotten quality brand PSUs with at least some attention to noise control. There seems to be less choice in the SFX market. Is the Silverline PSU you recommend considered at least as reliable as a quality ATX PSU? I've never owned a Sliverline anything. Is there a reason you chose that brand over other brands?

I see you have recommended the SFX-L version. As I understand it, the larger fan means less noise which is good. Considering how small the case is, does the larger fan size on the PSU create any potential problems such poor air flow for other components? I'm new to small case design so forgive me if I'm asking ignorant questions.

Also, is a fanless SPX PSU worth considering or would that generate too much heat?

Thanks for you advice.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

PureBlackFire, Thanks for the advice and recommendation. I'm new to SFX PSUs. In past when I've build ATX towers, I've always gotten quality brand PSUs with at least some attention to noise control. There seems to be less choice in the SFX market. Is the Silverline PSU you recommend considered at least as reliable as a quality ATX PSU? I've never owned a Sliverline anything. Is there a reason you chose that brand over other brands?

Silverstone made this form factor is virtually or literally the only one in it. not much choice there. silverstone is generally good, they sell mostly high quality stuff, whether it's cases, fans, coolers, power supplies. their stuff isn't always great and their pricing is almost never great, but they aren't bad. the SX-LG 500 is a good psu and not too loud. you can read a review of it here.

Also, if SPX-L is quieter than SPX, then I'd like to consider it. As I understand it, the larger fan means less noise. I couldn't seem to find it on PP, but I think this is the "L" version of the PSU you recommended: http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Modular-Lengthened-SX500-LG/dp/B00SD9IORQ

that's the same exact psu I put in the list and have been talking about this whole time :-).

Also, is a fanless SPX PSU worth considering or would that generate too much heat?

a fanless psu would likely cost alot more and you'd need some kind of airflow going over it. bad idea in this form factor.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Great. I'm going to go back and research the build some more.

Sorry for my error in repeating the recommendation you made. I realized my mistake soon after I posted and then used edit to correct myself. I must not have acted fast enough.

Anyway thanks for your advice and your patience with me! You've been very helpful. :)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

you're welcome. good luck with the build.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, not sure if you're still out there, but I realized later on you suggested a different video card that the one I already had listed.

I originally had this one: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42956kr

But you said go with: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42951kr

Wouldn't I be better off with my first choice because it has two fans instead of one? My thinking is that two fans at lower RPMs would be quieter and offer more cooling. Can you help me understand your reasoning?

I'm ready to buy ASAP, so if you see a better deal on a card suited for my build, let me know.

I also think I'll go with a little better known memory just to be safe. I found some GSKill over at newegg for $29.99, but it's only 1600: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Would that be alright?

Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it and the time you've already taken to help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube