add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A75 or A85X mobo for APU build?

mattataki
  • 81 months ago

So here is the build I am working on. I found in a local store this mobo:

A85X mobo @95$This mobo rounds up to 110$ with tax.

I was wondering if it was worth it. This store is really near where I live. I could just pick it up before going to school anytime soon. This is a fairly short question and I don't know really what to add.

I do have another question though but it is unrelated to this topic. I was wondering what sales tax applies when you shop online? I was recommended NCIX since they have only 5%. Though I thought the tax of the destination product applied. Though it would make sense that where it comes from would apply. If someone could clarify that while being there, I would appreciate it.

Edit 1: The retailer of the A85X mobo also has the CPU I want for 2$ less. Than on here. Just thought it could help.

Comments

• 81 months ago
  • 2 points

For NCIX it is only GST unless you live in BC afaik.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, it was 1AM when you replied. Thank you for your reply anyway. I am glad to hear that only the GST applies. That means that I will only have to pay 5% on sales tax + shipping right?

• 81 months ago
  • 2 points

Correct, and express RMA if you choose. Its a percentage of your total.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok good, thank you very much. I will now revise my price listing.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

I would consider the F2A85-M PRO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131883

As you are focusing in on a overclocking based APU you ideally want a VRM that has a heatsink. This is important as you increase the CPU speed the VRM will be under more load and produce more heat. At high enough levels it could throttle especially eliminating any value to your overclock.

In addition you will get some nice plus like

Solid quality fan controls inside the UEFI. A digital PWM for advanced adjustment and control parameters inside the UEFI. In addition the UEFI being a mature UEFI in regards to compatibility, overclocking and overall usage. USB Charger + - A quick way to recharge your mobile devices ( phone, tablet, eReader ) USB 3.0 Boost - a easy to use application that leverage the hardware controller, firmware and driver to improve performance. It is focused on improving flash based storage whether that be USB flash drives or high speed flash external drives.

Best of luck with your build!

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your response. But this was unnecessary:

In addition you will get some nice plus like

Solid quality fan controls inside the UEFI. A digital PWM for advanced >adjustment and control parameters inside the UEFI. In addition the >UEFI being a mature UEFI in regards to compatibility, overclocking and >overall usage. USB Charger + - A quick way to recharge your mobile >devices ( phone, tablet, eReader ) USB 3.0 Boost - a easy to use >application that leverage the hardware controller, firmware and driver >to improve performance. It is focused on improving flash based storage >whether that be USB flash drives or high speed flash external drives.

So I found at the same store that mobo:ASUS F2A85-M Though, I heard that the Gigabyte company doesn't really look into adding heat-sinks on their VRM. I then thought it was unnecessary, I thought the case cooling would do it's job. Since I had bad experience with AMD, having them run really high, I hate when your computer just closes by itself when it comes too hot. So I wouldn't mind paying a little extra on that mobo if it's what it takes. I will OC as soon as I get enough money to buy a decent CPU cooler since this APU un OC is still too hot for my taste.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

The ASUS at my local store is a little cheaper. With tax, it ends up being 120.75. I'll check NCIX later

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

I see the new ASUS A88X FM2+ mobo is on newegg today. That might be a good option to give you more options in the future.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll see if it's worth it. I heard Asus let's you OC your FSB. I don't know for the others, I'll check out the best solution. One thin if I take the cheap approach, I'll use that spare money to buy a new keyboard and then maybe a gaming mouse since I don't have any gaming set yet and my "waterproof KB" failed it's mission with less than 10mm of water the day the Warranty ended!

I was writing this as my internet cutted anyway so I took a look, I'm disappointed it's not added yet on PCPP. I think I'll go with this mobo afterall. I would say 80% chances in the favor that I will get this mobo.

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

I also found that it will be 1 dollar cheaper including taxe + shipping to just grab it at a store near me. Problem is, the mobo was added yesterday and it sais out of stock already :o

Here is the link: http://www.microbytes.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=44556&osCsid=21529bb1b3e0ada399ff919e14478282

• 81 months ago
  • 1 point

From Newegg;

AMD A88X (Bolton D4) Athlon/A- Series (FM2+) DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333

It seems it does not support very high frequency ram. I wonder if it competes against other mobos having up to 2133Mhz. And of course using it.

EDIT: Actually, nvm. I read it the wrong way, I'm used to see: 1333/1600/1866/2133, not the opposite. ;)

Now it gets down to having the chances that I get it is 99%! Plus it has neat features, I just realised the NFC thingy, I don't own a NFC capable smartphone but I know bunch of relatives that do so. I will eventually get one. Trends are going that all smartphone will be capable of handling a NFC adapter anyway, I'm really looking forward to that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube