add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Gaming Rig for inexperienced builder 3 - 4 k USD budget

JackDeez
  • 54 months ago

While I've built rigs in the past I've been economically challenged for the last 8 years. With my new job I've finally got the means to build a real gaming rig. However doing the research on parts and going through reviews is melting my brain trying to get up to date on everything.

Basically I want a rig that's gonna blast games at high to ultra settings and never have to downgrade my experience in order to get reasonable frames. I want to incorporate the latest and greatest tech and make a system that gonna last but can easily be parted for use in future upgrade builds.

I have some experience building computers but most of that was in the single or dual core days ranging from the 1st pentium to my last being a Phenom Quad 1st gen. So I'm a bit rusty on things. I haven't really done any OC but Im not opposed to it especially since it seems like the better parts are made for the OC enthusiast. There would definitely be a learning curve to consider as I'm a newbie in this area. BIOS that is friendly to newb clockers wouldn't hurt

I've been focused on the new Skylake processors tho I was considering the Haswell- Es but it seems like there's a decided lack of options in mobos and such compared to skylake. Was leaning towards maybe a pair of 980ti but which brand ? Paired with some of the higher def monitors for great picture

Budget: 3-4k USD (for full range of parts and periphs)( Also not 100% firm I can do more but would prefer to be reasonable this is a PC not a car )

Use: Gaming and video rendering ala youtube

Periphs: Would like a solid monitor for main screen possibly duals and solid keyboard/ mouse for gaming. Prefer a headeset /mic combo(currently have Hyper X Cloud II) have been looking at doing a mod mic/headset but honestly dont know enough about headsets to pick some audiophile type stuff that dont suck

Form Factor: ATX maybe EATX whatever is needed for the build

Case: Mid or Full... Ive spent HOURS UPON HOURS looking for a solid case that is of quality build materials but also functional for use with AIO CPU cooler(radiator space) and room for big PSU/ GPUs. Options and opinions greatly appreciated here. I HATE MESSY BUILDS so being able to clean it up properly is a must. Sleek and Sexy instead of gaudy and cheap

Theme: For this kinda cash I want it looking pimp, doesn't have to be plated in gold ffs but color coord and dressed up don't hurt when showing off to my more uber nerd friends( Seriously I need the nerd cred LIKE BAD) Lighting accents and sleeving goes a long way to making things look tight. I like shiny things so any kinda of pimped out LCD displays or whatever that will add eye appeal as well as being useful are definitely to be considered

If you need any more info let me know. I look forward to the discussion and Thank all in advance for their time and help

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

A little bit over, but PSU compatibility on pre-sleeved kits can be annoying.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $394.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler be quiet! DARK ROCK TF 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $79.90 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $169.99 @ Newegg
Memory PNY Anarchy X 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $83.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $147.99 @ Newegg
Storage Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Newegg
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 Fury 4GB Triple Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $504.98 @ Newegg
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 Fury 4GB Triple Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $504.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case $75.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic X Series 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $154.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $85.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $349.00 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus MG279Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor $549.99 @ B&H
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard $94.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse $67.99 @ Amazon
Other SoundMAGIC HP150 Premium Full Size Folding Headphones $169.99
Other V-MODA BoomPro Gaming Microphone $29.98
Other FiiO E10K USB DAC/Amp $75.99
Other CableMod SE-Series XP2 / XP3 / KM3 / FL2 Cable Kit - Black/Red $89.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $4075.63
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $4045.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 21:39 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 3 points

Now that I'm back from work, not rushing out the door, and the original power supply I wanted to put in is back on its promo, this is the updated list.

Black with red accents for your viewing pleasure.

CPU: You want excellent performance in both games and video rendering for your mad YouTube action. This will get you just that. At $20 less than a 6700k and with 50% more cores rendering the 5820k is absolutely better than its Skylake competition. When it comes to gaming it gets you the same performance as a 4790k per clock.

Now, the 4790k is massively cheap right now, but you're then limiting yourself to an aged chipset with no path to upgrade. Going with X99 now gets you the ability not only to upgrade to other Haswell-E processors, but Broadwell-E processors as well when they are released next year.

You're also getting with X99 the same base feature set that Skylake offers such as DDR4, excellent PCIe storage integration, USB3.1 integrated into a number of boards like the Raider I picked, more USB3.0 ports as a standard, as well as more PCIe lanes off the chipset as well as the CPU.

Cooler: I originally had beQuiet!'s TF selected. I had glossed over the part about you wanting good support for CLCs. The H100i GTX is not only an excellent performer, but it is cheaper than the competition while performing within a degree or two(or better, depending on the reviews you read).

Motherboard: The UP4 of the X99 chipset. When X79 had just come out Gigabyte's UP4 was fantastically inexpensive compared to the competition, offered all the features the X79 chipset was supposed to offer, gave you the ability to overclock, and was a very good-looking(albeit modestly so) board. There was little to no reason to get it other than spending money for the sake of spending money.

In exactly the same way there is little to no reason not to get the Raider. It's fantastically inexpensive, it gives you every feature X99 is supposed to offer to include USB3.1 support which a great number of others lack unless they have hideous add-in cards, it overclocks the same as pretty much every other board, and it not unpleasant to look at in the slightest. Again, there's really no reason to spend money on anything else unless you really, really want some yellow, red, or white in the case. But that's what other parts are for. To give you those accents.

RAM: RAM is RAM. CL14/15/16. 2133/2400/2666/etc. It really does not matter much. Gaming will see little to no gains from spending money here. Rendering, too, since the CPU will always be your bottleneck.

That being said, this is clocked higher than similarly-priced kits and has the same latency as similarly-priced kits. It also has a splash of red to add a bit of color.

Storage: There's nothing to say here that anybody else has not said before. The 840 Evo is tried and tested, and it something of a favorite. Other drives compete with it well, but it always comes down to a battle of price. Today the Evo has won.

As for the mechanical storage, Toshiba's PH3s are great drives and are quickly making a name for themselves in the storage communities. Usually cheaper than the others, performing as well or better than the others, and having warranties just as good as the others (sans some of Western Digital's drives).

GPUs: A lot of people compare the 980 and non-X Fury because of the price brackets they're in, but the Fury has regularly been seen trading blows with 980TIs. Putting two of them into Crossfire against two 980TIs in SLI and there's hardly a contest. The Furies' performance scales much better than 980TIs' and is a considerably cheaper solution, too.

Not only do they perform as well, but they are a much cheaper entry into the world of adaptive-sync monitors since Freesync is a standard which is freely implemented, while NVidia forces its proprietary hardware and more expensive monitors on users of their graphics cards.

Case: The Enthoo Pro M is inexpensive, well-featured, well-constructed, and pleasing to the eye. In the relatively little time Phanteks has been in the case business it has made massive strides to bring all the features of more expensive cases down to more reasonable prices.

Rubber grommets for cable management, 2.5" drive mounts, excellent water-cooling support, a power supply shroud to hide the cables and drives you don't want to see, dust filters, and a side window. It has it all.

PSU: I wanted to put this in before but Newegg had taken down the promo for whatever reason. Thankfully the promo is back and it's back in the build. LEPA, like a lot of manufacturers I've chosen so far, is known for their quality, yet comparatively inexpensive power supplies. Their 1600W unit has been on the market for a number of years now and is still what all power supplies over 1300W get compared to., and it's still cheaper than pretty much all of them.

This did keep me from choosing a fully-sleeved set of cables over sleeved extensions, but sacrifices have to be made some times. Not that it really matters because you have that shroud covering any cables leading directly from the power supply anyway. All you'll see is the extensions themselves where they meet your hardware.

Monitors: For your gaming pleasure; the MG279Q. 144Hz, IPS panel, Freesync(that mad adaptive-sync), and adjustable height and rotation. There's nothing not to love about it.

For the peripheral monitors, I have a hard time recommending just one other, and I absolutely refuse to recommend 1080p with screens this large because it looks terrible. These BenQs are the same resolution, though they have no adaptive-sync support, are IPS the same as the Asus, and are the same size with that adjustable height so nothing looks out of place.

If one more is all you want, then that's more I can recommend for... something. I don't know. This build already has it all. Maybe a slightly more expensive keyboard.

Keyboard: Speaking of keyboards... There's not really a whole lot I have to say about it. It has good build quality, it's not very expensive, it's mechanical, and it's backlit. What else does one need from a keyboard?

Mouse: Tried and tested. Spiritual successor to the G500 which is/was a massively popular mouse. I still have one lying around somewhere.

Headphones: You mentioned a possible interest in a good set of headcans so I ran with it. While not a well-known company outside of audio circles, SoundMagic makes some solid cans. Some people might complain about not choosing the M50x, but I didn't because they're over-hyped and not as good as the competition. The HP150s with also work with the BoomPro mic which plugs straight into the heaphones and turns it into a gaming headset.

DAC/Amp: There's no point in getting good headphones if you're just going to drive them with onboard sound. the E10k is a great DAC/Amp combo while not being super expensive. They're powerful enough to drive most headphones with a higher impedance should you upgrade in the future.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $394.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $169.99 @ Newegg
Memory PNY Anarchy X 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $83.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $147.99 @ Newegg
Storage Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case $75.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply LEPA 1375W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $119.00 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $85.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus MG279Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor $549.99 @ B&H
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard $79.99 @ Newegg
Other SoundMAGIC HP150 Premium Full Size Folding Headphones $169.99
Other V-MODA BoomPro Gaming Microphone $29.98
Other FiiO E10K USB DAC/Amp $75.99
Other BitFenix Essentials Pro Pack - ATX 24pin, EPS 8pin, 2x PCI-E 8pin Cable Set - Red $29.95
Other x2 - BitFenix 8-pin Video Card Extension Cable - 45 cm - Red $14.98
Other x2 - BitFenix SATA3 (6Gb/s) Cable - 30 cm - Red $14.98
Total (before mail-in rebates) $4074.69
Mail-in rebates -$90.00
Total $3984.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-24 01:17 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I never thought my insanely-priced saved part lists would come in handy one day. Give me a moment.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok wow wasn't expecting responses quite so fast. Thank you guys for your time.

I'm at work atm so gimme a min to go thru some these a bit and see what questions etc I come up with . I've glanced at them and I already have a couple but I want to do some research before I open my mouth so to speak.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

This is basically what its looking like so far and I've managed to get all this and some more for a few hundred bucks less then what its saying on here =D

I currently have the Swiftech AIO cooler on this tho I may just break down and get a corsair one from newegg to cut down on the number of deliveries Im gonna have to wait on, I'm extremely paranoid about someone stealing this off my porch.

Any problems or suggestions please feel free to comment.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $459.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Swiftech H240-X 90.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $149.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $223.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $278.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $697.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $639.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $639.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case $114.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Corsair 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $179.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) $124.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3535.90
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $3510.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-30 17:24 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Update: Scored a Asus ROG Swift Monitor and Logitech G502 and the Swift tech AIO cooler on Amazon.

• 54 months ago
  • 0 points

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $399.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $119.99 @ B&H
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $159.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $96.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $147.99 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.99 @ Micro Center
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $647.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $647.99 @ NCIX US
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case $129.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic X Series 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $154.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $90.99 @ NCIX US
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $29.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Apevia CF312SL-UBL (3-Pack) 63.9 CFM 120mm Fans $16.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan NZXT FN-200RB 166.2 CFM 200mm Fan $18.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor AOC I2757FH 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $179.99 @ Best Buy
Monitor AOC I2757FH 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $179.99 @ Best Buy
Monitor AOC U2868PQU 60Hz 28.0" Monitor $381.98 @ Newegg
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $161.89 @ Amazon
Headphones Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones $103.99 @ Amazon
Speakers Logitech Z523 40W 2.1ch Speakers $74.99 @ Amazon
Total $3893.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 14:27 EST-0500

I can give you more options if you want.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Wouldn't you want the monitors to have a higher refresh rate for gaming

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah if you look towards the bottom of this thread you can see my build as it progresses (currently on a spending spree at Newegg and Amazon LOL)

Since I'm gonna be rocking twin 980ti's I'm trying to get a pair of the Asus ROG Swift monitors which have the lovely option of being set on the fly to 60hz , 100hz or 144hz.

Atm I've only been able to secure 1 monitor as they are selling out like crazy with the whole Black Friday/ Cyber Monday stuff going on.

Newegg had a flash sale and they were going for just about $500 USD each but they sold out in like 10 mins. Unfortunately there was a limit of 1 per otherwise Id have gotten 2. Kinda mad about that, everyone else is trying to price gouge these for a few hundreds bucks more then their normal price of 700-800 USD

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically, from my understanding, for most 1080p setups 60hz will do okay thou going higher cant hurt as long as your system supports it.

If you're building toward a 2k / 4k system then yes the higher refresh rates are kinda a must imo.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Personal preference and budget. One might prefer a higher resolution over a higher refresh rate.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

What?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

In a good way? Because I think so.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube