add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fractal R4/Antec P280

Jemini

75 months ago

Hello everyone!

So I'm starting my first build journey, ordered half my parts online and the rest I will buy locally and will most likely be putting it together this weekend! So stoked!

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1CoQL

Anyway, the only thing left to pick out is a solid case. I've narrowed down my options to the 2 listed in the title above and would love to hear from owners of these cases.

First off I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences regarding installation, quietness or anything else that you like/dislike.

Secondly, I was dead set on the the Fractal R4 Titanium Grey or Black Pearl but then upon reading reviews I came across the Antec P280. I'm seriously considering the Antec because right now, there is a sale in my area until next monday. Both cases retail at $119 but the Antec is now 79.99 ($10 instant rebate, $30 mail in rebate) so after taxes I would still be under $100...pretty darn good savings I would think considering the R4 would cost roughly $130 after taxes. There is a white window version of the P280 as well for $10 less...not sure how I feel about the colour though.

Any reason I shouldn't jump on this deal?

Thanks in advance for reading and taking the time to share your thoughts!

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 2 points

I've used a P280 on one build, construction quality and cable management was up to par. It's not silent, but is quite quiet. In the same price range you could consider the Corsair 500R, great cooling, built in 3 speed fan controller, 3 x 120mm fans + 200mm on side panel. Quiet, good cable management.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Funny you mention that as I just checked out the Obsidian 550D as well its also a consideration especially since it has firewire since I still have a few devices that utilize firewire.

I guess price right now is a huge factor since these other cases I will pay over $130 including taxes which I don't mind doing, but I can't ignore the fact that the P280 is $40 less after rebates.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't even consider a mail in rebate lol.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

hahaha really why no? I've done it many times for my photo/music gear with success. :)

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

To me whats $40 in the scheme of things, by the time you get the money back you've already spent that $40 on random stuff

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

True but when that $40 comes back it's money to spend again :)

So would you choose the 500R over the 550D? I really like the sleek minimalist look of the 550D and the other 2 mentioned.

• 75 months ago
  • 2 points

The Antec looks solid, I'd go with that.

I have the R4 window version and I love it. Silent, great airflow, fan controller, roomy and awesome cable management. However if you want to spend less go with the Antec

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube