add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time gaming build for son

minibloke
  • 55 months ago

UK Based Could I get a little advice with building a gaming PC for my son. He mainly plays Steam games, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, CS:GO etc. I have a relatively small budget of about £500. I have a monitor, mouse, keyboard and Win 7 I have however been donated a new Lenovo H50-50 minus its CPU & GPU (someone wanted those bits). . That leaves me with a case, fan, 2Tb Hdd, 1 x 8Gb ram and a optical drive. The PSU i'm discounting as it's only 280W and the jury is out on whether the motherboard can cope with better graphics cards. From what I can find out the original spec was an intel i7 4790, H81 motherboard & a GT710 GPU.

I have been looking at various options -

1. i7 4790, New PSU, keep the motherboard, GTX750ti & 250GB SSD. This is the base option and I have found someone online that's done this. I think the GPU is a bit poor for what he needs? This is the best GPU I can find that Lenovo says works in this PC.
  2. i7 4790K, as above but with a GTX960. I think this may push the motherboard?
  3. i5 4690K, New Z97 Motherboard, PSU, GTX960/R9 380, 250Gb SSD.
  4. i5 6600K, New Z170 Motherboard, PSU, GTX960/R9 380, 250Gb SSD (is Skylake better future proof?)

I would like a system that should be ok for the next few years. GPU can be upgraded in the future with birthday moneys etc.

Your opinions and advice would be welcome. I'm pretty ignorant on PCs as I use Macs. Thanks in advance

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Would you like a parts list from scratch or would you like to re use the i7 4790 (recommended)?

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm open to advice. The CPU has been removed so I have to buy one, This gives me the choice to start afresh if needed. It partly relies on whether the existing Motherboard is realistically usable & can handle better GPU's

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Install the following into the Lenovo:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £133.84 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £29.07 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £111.09 @ Amazon UK
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card £161.74 @ More Computers
Power Supply Antec TruePower Classic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply £56.66 @ Dabs
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £492.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-24 23:37 GMT+0000

Good to go.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

How's this? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/CCGBCJ

It's ~600 AND Includes OS :)

This will definitely pack a punch!

If you have any questions about the parts I chose and why or how to build a PC just lemme know :P

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. So the general consensus is i5 for gaming, will this be ok for the next 3 years of games? Is it worth going i5 Skylake to add a bit of future proofing or are the cost/benefits not worth it?

• 55 months ago
  • 0 points

You should invest in GPU the most, so if you aren't planning to overclock, IF YOU CAN, get i5 6500 or i5 6600k and r9 380 because it's better than gtx 960, or even better r9 390 if you have enough money. I7 is completely unnecessary for gaming and it would be the waste of money if he is only planning to game.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube