add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$2000 Budget - First Time Builder

curtisg35
  • 54 months ago

I have a $2000 budget and am hoping to take advantage of some Black Friday deals. I am a first time builder but here are the few things that I would like to have:

1. The best Intel Processor that I can get
  2. At least 32gb of DDR4 RAMM with a motherboard that can accept more if I should ever need it.
  3. The ability to hook up 4 monitors to the box and have one of them support 4k UHD movies (Nvidia GTX 980?)
  4. Windows 10

This machine will be used to operate a sports business that I have which uses bots to collect data so it needs to be able to handle at least 12 browser screens going at once. In addition to that I would like to be able to download music and movies to this device. On a regular basis I use Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

Thank you for your help

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E5-1660 v3 Eight-Core Haswell Processor 3.0GHz 0GT/s 20MB LGA 2011-v3 CPU, OEM $1080.00
CPU Cooler Thermalright MACHO 120 REV.A 46.2 CFM CPU Cooler $34.00 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $169.99 @ Newegg
Memory Samsung 16GB (1 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory $102.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Samsung 16GB (1 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory $102.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $164.00 @ Amazon
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.95 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card $139.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Antec P100 ATX Mid Tower Case $64.60 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $94.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2033.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-24 17:37 EST-0500

The Xeon E5 V3 supports up to 384GB of registered ECC DDR4. On the Extreme4 motherboard, that will be limited to 256GB. (8 X 32GB ECC RDIMM's).

There are only 2 discrete GPU's on the market right now that support BOTH fixed function decoding of 4K H.265 AND up to 4 monitors. The GTX950 and GTX960.

If you want 10 bit per channel color support in photoshop, switch that out for either a FirePro W4100 or 5100, either of which support up to 4 X 4K-60hz displays, but neither of which provided hardware accelerated 4K video decoding. That being said, with an E5-1660 V3 Xeon, you'll have no problems playing back any 4K video with software decoding, so it doesn't really matter.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

This processor seems to be pretty nice. If I go with this build can I expect this processor to last quite a while. I was thinking the Intel i7 was the best but this seems to be in a different ballpark.

384gb of ECC DDR4 means that I can upgrade it for quite some time?

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

If I go with this build can I expect this processor to last quite a while

If history repeats itself, it will be ~5 years before a ~$1000 CPU doubles the performance of the E5-1660 V3. If we look at a $1000 Xeon from 5-6 years ago, that's an X5650, which offers about the same execution throughput in parallel workloads as todays high end i5's.

I was thinking the Intel i7 was the best but this seems to be in a different ballpark.

The E5-1660 V3 is basically the Xeon "version" of an i7-5960X. The i7 officially supports up to 64GB non-ECC RAM, (unofficially up to 128GB, but I would never put anywhere near that much non-ECC memory in any system).

The xeon "version" supports ECC registered memory, which affords the opportunity to scale up to a lot more memory without stability or reliability compromises.

384gb of ECC DDR4 means that I can upgrade it for quite some time?

The build will be limited to 256GB by the motherboard. (8 X 32GB RDIMM's).

The machine is well poised for a long life. I doubt you'd find yourself wanting of more RAM than this could hold in any of this machines useful life.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I stopped by Frys (the largest electronics store here in Las Vegas) and they did not have this processor. I see it at a few places online but I was wondering if you might know of a good Black Friday sale where I can get it ?

This is the system I am going to build but since it is going to be so bad *** I was kind of hoping to have a cooler box to put it all in. Maybe one with green lights? Do you have any suggestions on a nicer box?

Thanks

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

I doubt you'll see much price fluctuation on the Xeon. It's not the sort of product that black Friday shoppers care about. I'd probably just order it from superbiiz or newegg for ~$1080.

Case's are so subjective. I look at the Antec P100 and see a great looking "professional" workstation case with a great internal layout and great sound dampening. You might see something boring.

Here's a nice alternative: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Case Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $109.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-26 01:54 EST-0500
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I am looking at the motherboard on Newegg and on Superbiiz . They both say, "Supports Quad Channel DDR4 3000+(OC) memory with max. capacity up to 128GB" I apologize if this is not the same as the comment you made, "limited to 256GB. (8 X 32GB ECC RDIMM's)." but if you could verify that it will hold 256GB for me I would appreciate it .

Thanks

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Intel-CPUs-Xeon-E5-vs-Core-i7-634/

we have been able to use Xeon E5 v3 CPUs and registered ECC memory on every ASUS and ASRock X99 board we have tried without few, if any, problems. The eight RAM slots on most X99 boards will limit you to a maximum of 256GB (8x32GB) of RAM instead of the 768GB the Xeon CPUs technically support, but that is the only issue we've seen. In fact, we are currently using Xeon E5 v3 CPUs on the ASUS X99 Deluxe motherboard on all of our Genesis I and Genesis I Quiet Edition systems. This lets us have up to 18 cores and 256GB of RAM in a workstation without giving up desktop features like USB 3.0, onboard audio, or WiFi.

The reason X99 with 8 DIMM slots is limited to 256GB is because this platform doesn't have support for load reduced registered memory. The largest DIMM's we can use on X99 are going to be 32GB.

So, in the same way that the i7's only officially support 64GB RAM (See intel ARK pages), but "actually" work with 128GB of non-ECC RAM on X99 boards with 8 DIMM slots, the X99 Extreme 4 only "officially" supports 128GB RAM, but "actually" works with 256GB when registered ECC memory is used with an E5 V3 Xeon on the board.

If you would like to buy a board, that actually lists specific support for huge registers of memory (more than 256GB), the Supermicro X10SRA and Gigabyte MW50-SV0 are some "true" enterprise type motherboards with the C612 chipset, with official support for up to 512GB of load-reduced DDR4 Registered ECC memory, or 256GB of DDR4 Registered ECC memory. These boards would likely actually be upgrade-able to 768GB of RAM using 4 X 128GB + 4 X 64GB LRDIMM's, though officially they will probably only ever have listed support for 512GB as that can be accomplished with matching DIMM's for best interleave compatibility.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate all of your help. I am going with the system that you put together for me. The prices varied a little from what was listed and an item was out of stock. I tried to make sure that I got the exact items so that everything worked together. Can you take a look at the stuff I purchased and make sure I did not mess up and order the wrong thing and that everything is compatible? The only thing I have not purchased thus far is the fan (they were out of it) and I may go with a liquid cooled one so if you have a suggestion on that too I would appreciate it. Thanks again!

From Superbiiz:

2- Samsung DDR4-2133 16GB/2Gx72 ECC/REG CL15 Server Memory D42116G4S $223.80 1-Intel Xeon E5-1660 v3 Eight-Core Haswell Processor 3.0GHz 0GT/s 20MB LGA 2011-v3 CPU, OEM E5-1660V3 $1,054.72

From Newegg:

1 - Antec P100 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Item #: N82E16811129199 Extended Holiday Return Policy $84.99 1 - EVGA GeForce GTX 950 02G-P4-2951-KR 2GB GAMING, Silent Cooling Gaming Graphics Card Item #: N82E16814487156 Extended Holiday Return Policy $159.99 1 - ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Item #: N82E16813157543 Extended Holiday Return Policy $169.99

From Amazon:

Hitachi HUA723030ALA640 3TB Hitachi UltraStar 7K3000 HUA723030ALA640 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 80 Plus Gold Rated, Fully Modular ATX 12V/EPS 12V ECO Mode Power Supply 220-G2-0650-Y1

SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive (SSD) with 10-Year Warranty- SDSSDXPS-480G-G25

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

With daily price fluctuations, If I could have had a hand in the mix at the last moment, I would have changed the GPU and PSU, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with what you have ordered there. Should work fine.

Since posting that build previously I've learned that the superbiiz coupon code only works on 1 item up to $15 so I would have made an effort to select some different vendors in that list...

Here's the GPU and PSU I would want to order if given the chance to make changes today. As well as a list of HSF's that I would be comfortable with using for the E5-1660 V3 (there are many more, this is just a few to consider).

I have no respect for pumped liquid coolers for anything beyond novelty or physical applications where traditional liquid heatpipe coolers won't fit.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler $75.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler $74.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Silverstone AR01 81.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $34.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Silverstone AR03 81.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12DXi4 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler $63.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14S_BK 68.1 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler $64.74 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler $42.25 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card $135.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

lol...Why 32Gb of RAM?

EDIT: Do you need peripherals?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I want so much RAM because I use Photoshop and other stuff not that slows my current computer down and I want to avoid that problem. I also run custom built programs that use it so 32gb will make sure I do not need to worry about anything for a while.

The $2000 is for the box only. I do not need keyboards, mouse, screen ect included in that budget.

• 54 months ago
  • 0 points

Eh I tried: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hFFWkL

I wasn't sure really if you wanted great GPU or a great CPU I gave you a taste of both.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me :)

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

While the 390X can technically support 4 monitors, the WAY that it supports 4 monitors is not very flexible or ideal.

The 4th monitor will have to be either a native displayport monitor, or require the use of an active displayport adapter.

The configuration options for the multi-monitor setup will likely be somewhat limited, as 4+ monitors on this GPU will require the use of eyefinity, which spans single logical screens across multiple physical monitors.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

A workaround may be to use a usb 3.0 display.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

lol...

no.

USB "display adapters" just create a virtual connection to your existing GPU and then use real-time compression to stream the digital video over USB.

Great way to add latency, increase CPU load, and not solve any of the problems with supporting 4+ displays on a 390X.

• 54 months ago
  • 0 points

Have you even seen USB 3.0 displays? You can multitask very well with 0 lag even when streaming videos on different monitors.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

There are 2 types of "USB" display/adapters.

1. Type with a built in very basic GPU that will run it's own driver and not integrate very well with the proprietary GPU drivers in the system. These usually don't support openGL or DirectX applications and lack the acceleration needed for smooth acceleration of interface elements in modern desktop environments.

2. Type that creates a "virtual" connection to the existing GPU in a system, compress's and streams the video signal from the GPU, over USB, to a "receiver" of sorts. This would result in the exact same problem that using an R9 390X for 4 monitors already has, but add it's own additional limitations and performance stripping.

Please stop trying to dig yourself out of this hole. The 390X is a bad choice for a quad monitor workstation that will be configured with monitors of varying resolution and arrangement. None of the workarounds should even be considered when there are Nvidia solutions for as little as $150 that not only support 4 monitors, but support any arrangement of them (different resolutions, positions, etc), AND offers H.265 4K decoding.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube