add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Noctua NH-D9L

DarthNada517

50 months ago

I want to over clock my i5 6600k, mutilpier only. Would it be wise to use a bigger cpu cooler along the lines of the new D14 model even if I only want a bump to the 3.8 range? I'm not going for gold here or anything, which is why I want to just get the D9L throw on the extra fan and call it a day. Also, I'm too much of a noob to even want to consider liquid cooling.

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

a bigger heatsink will definitely be a better solution in the long run (meaning your cpu would work cooler and should last longer). But for light overclocks you should be more than fine with the NH-D9l. You can even go higher...

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/noctua-nh-d9l-and-nh-u9s-cpu-cooler-review,9.html

I want to just get the D9L throw on the extra fan and call it a day

that is also a good idea to throw in the extra fan

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I'll upgrade down the road if my small oc ends up going well so I can push it into the low 4 range. Size is my only concern really.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

you can also get its bigger brother the NH-U9S which is 125mm tall and performs slightly better.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube