add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 7 --> Windows 10 on a new build

guitarmike
  • 54 months ago

Hi, I'm currently running Win7 Home Premium (not OEM). I have the disc and the box it came in. i'm looking to replace this PC with a new one and would like to get the new one to Windows 10. Can I build the new PC, install Win7 using my disc and existing key, and then get a free upgrade to Win10?

Thanks.

Mike

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you have the full version, yes. You might want to upgrade to 10 on you old PC first and then use the Media Creation tool to make a USB installer for Windows 10 to use on the new PC.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

not sure if that would work... once they upgrade on the old pc, that upgrade is used up and the license key is tied to that hardware... upgrade on the new pc, not on the old one.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

but the OP said he has the full version..

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

we know that win10 is a hardware locked license. we also know it stated that the free upgrade is meant for 1 pc. If you use that free upgrade on the old computer, your very likely to not be able to then upgrade another computer since that win7 license has already been upgraded on a different pc... basically, dont risk it. theres absolutely no reason to upgrade the old pc if your building a new one... instead, maybe you can get away with running 7 still on the old one after upgrading the new one to 10.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

we know that win10 is a hardware locked license.

That is for the OEM versions of Windows, not the full retail licenses.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/moving-windows-10-to-a-new-computer/70aeae9a-0a7c-4e8a-adf6-35b6ec178f46?auth=1

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

nice find. situation clarified :)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

makes sense.. :)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Like pegotico hinted at, I think that is for the OEM version, but I could be wrong.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Can I build the new PC, install Win7 using my disc and existing key, and then get a free upgrade to Win10?

Yes. Uninstall your Windows 7 product key first, from your current PC.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

FYI, I built my new computer and did a clean install of Win10 without installing a product key. After about a week, I entered my Win7 product key and it worked like a charm. No need to call Microsoft, no need to remove the key from my old PC (which has been relegated to the attic now).

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube