add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU cooler help

pshopper

50 months ago

Seeking a CPU cooler recommendation for this build. The case is small, Silverstone ML08B. Just want it to fit and not be too loud. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pshopper/saved/#view=Xp8tt6

Thanks!

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Any reason why you don't want to use the stock cooler?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I generally haven't heard a lot of good things about stock coolers. While I have ATX Tower building experience, this is my first small case. I don't want excessive noise or heat concerns.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your budget for the cpu cooler, because the cpu cannot overclock I wouldn't get a new cpu cooler.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking about this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9i

But someone mentioned to me it was designed for use in ultra low profile cases and not ideal for a gaming rig.

If the consensus is that I can just use the stock cooler, I guess I could try that first. I have no intention of overclocking any of my components ever. (The vid card is factory overclocked).

Are the stock fans noisy compared to quality 3rd party offerings?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

That cooler would work great for you case, and noctua is very quiet and reliable.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, but you just said you would just use the stock fan. I'm hoping you will explain your opinion more so I can learn from it. Likewise, I already know what CPU cooler I chose. I was hoping for alternative suggestions.

Is there any reason the nocuta wouldn't be ideal for gaming builds as I was told by someone else? Do I really NEED a low profile cooler or am I just compromising on size for no good reason?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

The top 3 highest rate cpu coolers are all noctua. Really the only reason that noctua would be ideal for a gaming build is that it is not a great looking color. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu-cooler/#sort=d4&page=1&qq=1

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I think I'll take a chance on the stock cooler for now and upgrade only if I need to. I just realized my mobo is out of stock everywhere, so I'm sort of back to the drawing board. Still, your advice will help me no matter what I get.

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube