add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

mechanical gaming keyboard questions

Sammyt555

49 months ago

Went to microcenter today to buy my CPU and tried out some mechanical switches. I tried blue, red, brown and black cherries and also Razer's green and orange.

I liked the razer greens and the blue and red cherries, so i will probably aim for a board using those switches, but i dont know much about what kind of features "gaming" keyboards offer. My friend has a das keyboard and i love the switches (and the look) and thats pretty much all I'm really after.

But what am i passing up by going with a das keybaord, which isnt made for gaming? how essential is the ability to macro keys in gaming? Im not in to any mmos right now, is that their main application?

If you can recommend a good keyboard, I dont want to spend much more than 100 dollars

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Macro keys are not a necessity, their application is usually shortcuts or to input code like I have done.In reality functionality is key and since I have dumped a forsaken k70 for a Das myself you won't really lose anything especially with the recent models that have incorporated N-key rollover and anti-ghosting which will benefit you greatly.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

awesome. thank you!

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

just extra buttons, lighting, and other random features like usb and audio pass through, gold connectors, various macro related things, media buttons, specialized button shapes (often the wasd on some boards have odd curves), special software that does things to control lighting, button mappings, macros, and some game integration features....

basically, anything that a plain keyboard does not have :P

and Das has long been one of the best brands for gamers since before most gamer brands jumped into mechanical boards... They used to be a step above such old standbys as the Logitech g15 that was very popular a decade ago. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with getting a Das if you dont care about all the extras.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube