add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Build for Counter strike

samald
  • 55 months ago

Current build: RAIDMAX ATX-402WB Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W FD6300WMHKBOX Desktop Processor

MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

I am looking to play CS:GO at a very high fps, and some other games and mid/low fps. I am considering reusuing some parts here, but would like to know everyones opinion on what I should do. Would like to spend around $500 (I already have a hard drive with OS, so can go higher on other components.)

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I would update the graphics card. Perhaps something midrange like a gtx 960/ r9 380 or perhaps as high as a r9 380x.

The problem is your CPU isn't that bad but its not that good for gaming either. I wouldn't change if before you have tried a new GPU but since CS is quite CPU bound it might be that you need to change your motherboard and drop an Intel i5.

To maximise performance you could do this, more power is typically desirable for the 390 but it will work without issue

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $159.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $57.80 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $284.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $502.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-26 12:01 EST-0500

That said this is quite extreme and I think saving some money by going for a lesser graphics card first, a better match for your current CPU would be my advice.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, so which GPU would you recommend for now? And if I do just upgrade the GPU, what about the motherboard?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't see anything wrong with your mobo if you are only upgrading GPU.

I certainly wouldn't go beyond an R9 380X with your CPU as the CPU will start to be the limiting factor especially in CS:GO where out and out core efficiency/speed are the key to great performance.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

So lets say I just do the GPU, I currently get around 100fps with my current build, how much would it increase?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably not much to be honest but other games will appreciate it. Like I said it's mainly the CPU that limits that game.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU will be the limiting factor no matter what GPU is involved.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Samald,

Can you please clarify whether the "current build" you're listing there is stuff you already own, or stuff that makes up a current build plan.

Thanks.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Makes up the rig I already own.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I would advise downloading MSI afterburner and configuring the live charts to monitor CPU load and GPU load. Play your games as your normally would, then see which component is hitting 100% utilization, either a CPU core or the GPU.

I would also advise running AIDA64 and configuring it to chart current CPU clock speeds to ensure you aren't dealing with a CPU throttling problem while running games. The CPU should hold 3.5-4.1ghz (if configured stock) while under a gaming load. If it is dropping to less than ~3.3ghz with 100% load, then you have a throttling problem likely related to the motherboard or improper configuration. (cooling? custom BIOS settings? Failed overclocking attempts? Too much voltage/heat?)

Don't do any upgrades until you have performed this test to determine where your primary bottleneck is at.

To be honest, I'm surprised to hear you're looking for an upgrade. The FX-6300 + HD7770 should have no problems running CS:GO at ~120FPS at 1080P and most modern games at reduced visual quality 30-60FPS if everything is in working order. If you aren't getting this sort of result, perhaps there is a problem with the system that needs to be addressed.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU usage stayed around 25-30 percent while ingame and dipped. The max was 90%, and that was when opening the game, then went back down. Haven't tried running AIDA64 yet, going to try it out now.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Chart the CPU usage by core, not overall. A CPU or software bottleneck can show up a 1 core pegged at 100% utilization, (which on a 6 core CPU can easily "appear" to be very low utilization when considered as a whole).

MSI afterburner, or AIDA64 should be able to do this, but if not, you can use the hardware monitor built into windows for that.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU1 usage stayed stable the entire time, while 2-6 jumped up and down. Here is a screenshot to show: http://imgur.com/WOzJOZs (The drop off was after I closed the game.)

Any ideas?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Amd 380 or nvidia 960 for a gpu would be a huge step up, run easily on that psu, and put you way higher in fps than any monitor can go to.... then make sure you have at least 8gb ram, so buy more if needed or keep what you have. if you still wanna spend money, you can buy a newer intel board and cpu within your budget if you hit the right deals...

this gets you close to your budget... you can swap the motherboard for any 1151 socket board if you want, this was just a random h170 to get a price in there... and the ram is on a nice sale... you can save $10 for cheaper and much slower ram, but this stuff had a sweet deal. in the sub $200 range, this looks like the best gpu in terms of performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $184.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card $194.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $518.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-26 12:52 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube